cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Asus router - worth the effort?

JamesBlonde
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I got an Asus RT-AX82U router free with my laptop a year or so ago, but have never taken it out the box.  I appreciate its not a modem router, so to use on my network I'd still need the smart hub. My PCs, TV and media server are on ethernet, and i've got 2 mesh pucks in the house too. 

Wondering if its worth the effort of unboxing the Asus router, or if the smart hub is good enough? 

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@JamesBlonde   The EE routers can't be switched to modem only mode, so you would need the Asus in access mode and so not be able to use many of the advanced features.

If everything is working for you as it is then why change?

JamesBlonde
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Fair enough, no issues with my current set up really so seemed more hassle than it would be worth, and if there are technical reasons then all the more reason to keep my current setup.

Had it been the modem router version, I guess I'd be having a different conversation? 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which EE BB product have you bought? The Asus router will have stronger functionality than any of the EE routers.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)