cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband

Coz21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

We currently have normal EE broadband through the phoneline. We want fibre and are undecided between EE and BT. I understand EE is powered by BT but just wondered whether it is worth changing to BT or whether it would be easier to stay with EE. Will it be true fibre through a cable, or would it still be through the phoneline? We want at least 500mb download speed and want to keep our landline phone.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Coz21  Have you checked to see if it is available in your area? You can look it up in your MyEE.

The sales people seem to be encouraging people to use EE plus if you have a mobile with them there is usually some extra deals/incentives.

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

BT owns EE, and is trying to move all consumers over to EE so that BT itself is business focused. However, it is currently still selling consumer services.

I’ve just moved from BT to EE and am having nothing but problems. Lots of other people here are also having the same issues, and in my view, the new EE services - notably the router and the app that controls it - haven’t been tested sufficiently before launch, so that those of us who are using them are effectively beta testing.

In theory, you should be better off staying with EE and upgrading, because its new router is WiFi 6, rather than WiFi 5 (which is what you’ll get with BT). But, in practice, EE’s hardware and software are so flaky at the moment that you might be better off with a stable, reliable BT service. That’s the routed I’d take, if I were you.

djrobs33
Investigator
Investigator

You'll be lucky to get anywhere near the advertised speed.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

To see what you cen get in the way of Fibre, what does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)