cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to inform you a contract continues unless you cancel

MikeB12345
Explorer

Misleading end of contract?

I received a letter from EE in January 24 confirming my home broadband contract was coming to an end, only to find out it continues unless you call them to cancel.

Surely the letter should state 'if you do not cancel it will continue?'  

As the service includes equipment and therefore hire, it comes under a finance contract and is regulated.  

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MikeB12345 : These BB contracts don't just end, just the min. term expires. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the non-discounted price on a rolling 14-days' notice basis until you explicitly migrate, cancel or upgrade.

The BB service does not involve hire of kit. The router is yours to keep & do as you will.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
I get that, and it’s fine BUT it should state “if you do not call to cancel this contract will continue”… what’s the harm in being upfront?
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Would you mind posting up a copy of this letter, with the personal details redacted?

It's common practice across the telecoms industry, for service provision contracts to be on a rolling basis with a minimum term. The logical extension of a contract ceasing arbitrarily on a fixed-duration basis would be a loss of service - which would cause other issues.

I cannot imagine I am speaking to non-ee employed community members as this subject is too dull for people using the service. My point is the notice letter should say that if you do not cancel by phone the contract will roll. It really doesn’t require investigation obfuscation or inquiry. EE should help people like me by being clear on their end of period notice letter that action is required to cancel. The risk of loss of service is a real risk but nothing to do with my request that EE should be clear that the service will continue unless customers cancel. What’s the harm?

@MikeB12345 wrote:
My point is the notice letter should say that if you do not cancel by phone the contract will roll..... EE should help people like me by being clear on their end of period notice letter that action is required to cancel

Can you post up a copy of the letter you received, as previously suggested.

@MikeB12345   So you want to be cut off at the minimum term for not doing something about it.      What if you were not at home and this happened and you then found out you don’t have access to the internet.  You’ll then be complaining about being cut off. 

No. I want to be told on the letter notifying me that the contract is ending that it will in fact continue unless I call to cancel. That’s the only point.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

These letters usually have intentional legal & marketing input, which is why I would be interested to see the precise wording.

It's impossible to pass any further comment without that.