cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend my wifi via ethernet cable

orboyts
Contributor
Contributor

I have an outbuilding with an ethernet connection point but no Wi-Fi coverage.. My ee Smart hub is in my home with the ethernet connection to the outbuilding just behind it. How do I get Wi-Fi in my outbuilding -Does ee do a Wi-Fi hardwired extender?? I had read about buying a second smart hub and connecting to my current one / mimicking the first one. 

Must be something simple to buy? Any help very welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@orboyts   do you also have mains power in that building?

If so you could get a simple plug and play Access Point - lots to choose from depending on your budget.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=currys+access+point&source=hp&ei=EtdSZKKiIMaChbIPg8-kiAM&iflsig=AO... 

You could do worse than pop into PC World and have a chat.

Thanks alot. We have Mains power and Cat 6 connection in our outbuilding. The Cat6 connection goes all the way to the internal behind my ee Smart hub in my house.How easy though is it to connect this type of unit to the ee Smart hub? Thanks!

As I said, plug and play!.

Plug one end of the Cat 6 to a spare Lan Port, the other into the AP Wan port and off you go for many of them.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@orboyts - if you have an old router, then that can likely be configured to work as an access point with reasonably little fuss (assuming you're OK accessing the router interface to make a handful of configuration changes).