Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE moved me to BT with promise of no outstanding cancellation charges

PTG
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Everyone,

On the 16th May 2023 I enquired about moving from my 'Fibre Broadband with Landline' package to the new FTTP service as my street is now connected up.

As I wanted to keep my landline I was told EE couldn't offer me FTTP and a landline service, but were happy to move me to their BT counterparts on the Fibre 500 with BT Digital Voice package, starting a new 24 month contract. I specifically asked about the 11 months left on my EE contract and was told that I wouldn't have to pay anything in regard to the early cancellation charges as EE are part of the BT group. The EE agent arranged my new contract and sure enough the emails confirming the new package arrived and I waited for 2 weeks until going live on the 31st May 2023, during which time I received my new equipment and also a letter from EE confirming disconnection on the 31st May 2023. Their letter had a 'What happens next?' section in which I was informed, '...we will complete the necessary tasks to close down your account and calculate your final bill....there's no need to cancel your direct debit or recurring card payment, we'll do this for you once we have received payment of your final bill'.

As my EE billing period runs from the 25th of the month to the 24th of the following month, the May 25th bill was taken on the 9th June for the full amount (£33.31). I thought OK, payment is always for the month ahead, so I should be due a refund when I receive my final bill statement, since I have only had 7 days of service (25th - 31st May 2023)

Time ticked on. When logging in to my online EE account, I noted my EE plan was still showing as live in early June. I contacted EE customer services and was told it just takes time - wait until your next bill, which I presume would be my final bill and all would be OK.

Low and behold today, the 25th June, I've received another bill for the 25th June -24 July for the full amount (£33.31) even though my service was disconnected on the 31st May! I've contacted EE customer services again only to be told that my account hasn't been closed down and my account is still showing active!? How can this be when the landline number was ported to BT Digital voice which immediately ceased the Broadband with EE? Not only that, but surprise surprise, when my account is officially closed down I will now be charged early cancellations fees which EE allege, BT are to pay me back.

Now I categorically only accepted the switch to BT on the confirmation that I would have no cancellation fees to pay. I didn't take out the BT services, an EE agent did, so after speaking to BT just now, they have informed me that EE need to waive the fees as  it wasn't me who ordered their service and so a 'customer contract buyout' will not apply. Plus, BT would only cover up to £300 as credit in a customer contract buyout, so my 11 months left would more than likely exceed this -  but, since I haven't had my final bill, I can't be sure what the total amount will be. 

I feel quite aggrieved and let down by EE. I have been a customer of theirs since way back in 2010 (when it was Orange'). 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else been in a similar position?  It would also be nice if anyone reading his from EE customer services could look into and help resolve this matter.

Thanks for reading!

Kind regards,

Phil

16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@PTG    thanks for the update, glad its getting sorted.

So this just gets better......

Having queried why EE had sent us a bill for £197.32, i was told not to worry, and that they were very sorry. The agent informed me that the money would not be taken and that it would in fact be covered by BT. I left the call thinking that would be it.......how wrong i was.

On 1st August EE take £197.32.... back on the phone i get. Agent is again very apologetic and tells me that it shouldn't have been taken and that she would put a refund through to her supervisor straight away. I asked her to confirm this for e which she did. Again i left the call hoping this was resolved....... how wrong i was. Can you see where this is now going?

Aug 10th, still no refund, so back on the phone. This time the agent is very wafty  about what has been going on. He tells me that he has opened a complaint and is trying to speak to his manager who surprise surprise is busy. I inform him that i want this resolved and would like to speak to the manager. No, can't speak to him as he's busy. 

I have been told that i will get a call back within the next 3 hrs to sort the matter out.

This is just a disgrace EE, you should be ashamed of how you treat your customers ( we still have two mobile phone contracts with you......for the moment).

I'll update again once i've spoken to the very busy manager.....

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Andy558 

I am very sorry to hear this and hope this is all sorted once you receive the call back. 

Leanne.

Yep, you guessed it.

The very busy manager was too busy to phone me so i phoned back after nearly 4 hours.

I've now been told that it is BT who will refund us providing we claim within two months, have the original order reference umber and a copy of the final bill. All this needs to be sent to bt-switchteam@bt.com with an explanation.

I have done this and received a reply that the claim will be reviewed as soon as possible and they will get back to me.

EE have been utterly utterly useless and rude. They were the ones advising me to move providers but have caused me untold anxiety ever since.

I'm sure this will generate a response from the customer service team asking me to get in contact to help resolve the matter. Absolutely not, EE your customer care team are incapable of resolving anything.

Leanne_T

Hi @Andy558 

I am very sorry and I understand your frustration, we're unable to access your account to help you with this on the community forum. 

If the team aren't able to resolve your issue, you can raise a complaint at Make a complaint (ee.co.uk).

Thanks. 

Leanne. 

I made a complaint earlier..... guess what.... It was closed the moment i put the phone down.

Leanne_T

You can raise this again online @Andy558 

Once this has been looked into the team will get back to you.

Leanne.