cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE hub as modem ?

A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I’m looking for information to confirm, lots of conflicting details!!
Can the EE hub be used purely as a modem / bridge mode as wish to use my own ASUS router? Thanks 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
miggle
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@A319 I saw you ask where the PPPoE settings where in your other thread. On that very same page - the WAN setup page, at the top there is a drop-down box to select the type of internet connection. Make sure you select PPPoE from the drop-down list then just type the login information into the account settings. 

Checklist:-
- Check wan connection type is PPPoE
- Enter login details
Click apply - and off you go!

asus-pppOE setting.png

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No! All you can do is turn off its WiFi & let the ASUS handle that.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry, not sure I understand that reply. 
you say NO to modem mode / bridge mode but say turn off wifi , how does the equipment know to be a modem only or will this be all it can be if wifi is off ? Then by connecting ASUS it becomes router ?

By "No" I do mean No! Turning off WiFi doesn't make a modem. It just means it won't handle any WiFi connections, leaving them to the secondary router.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, So if I understand you correctly, what I wish to achieve is possible, yeah ?  I can use my ASUS for the WiFi signal 

miggle
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@A319 what package are you on? if you're on fibre you can plug your Asus router into the ONT (like I do) and use that for wifi/internet.

There are instructions on this forum for using a third party router here:-using-and-configuring-a-third-party-router 

If you wish to retain your existing hub, (or you're not on a fibre connection) - you can turn off wifi on it, and just use your asus  as a secondary router as mentioned above. 🙂

A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry, what do you mean by plug into ONT ?

currently on VM 600mb using hub3 and its used as modem with ASUS acting as my router .

but considering changing to EE / BT full fibre 900 but need to be sure I can continue with same 

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Like @miggle says, if you're moving to full fibre then you'll be able to connect the Asus unit directly to the fibre termination point via it's WAN port (with some minor configuration). You won't need the EE-provided hub at all if you choose not to use it.

miggle
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@A319 you will be provided with an ONT that is mounted on the wall as part of your installation. You can plug the ASUS router directly into the ethernet socket on that as @bobpullen says.

That goes into your WAN port on the Asus router.

For reference it looks like one of these:-

ONTONT

A319
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ah right, the terminal provided at installation I plug straight into that… get it. Thanks.

is the configuration required easy for a novice? 
appreciated