Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Full Fibre/FTTP - Congested duct?

RachT123
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

Signed up to EE FF yesterday - I've checked the BT wholesale checker for my postcode - and it says there is a congested duct?

Please could you let me know whether any work may need doing  - I am concerned about this delaying the install, particularly seeing about delays due to blocked ducts. I'm feeling very anxious -  considering our current Virgin connection is rubbish (and in particular, I am unable to play video games). I'm also concerned because AFAIK there has never been an OR connection (there is no Master Socket for the older ADSL/FTTC)

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@RachT123  No one has account access nor can anyone tell you about any delays until Openreach carry out a survey/attempt an install.

If you have no other Openreach connection I guess you don’t know the path a cable/fibre will take or where the blocked duct is. Not sure there is much else to say yet. The broadband care team should be able to tell you more once Openreach have accepted the order, but not what issues may be encountered.

It would be advisable not to cancel your VM circuit until the EE is up and working. Not the planned installation date.

HTH.

RachT123
Investigator
Investigator

Appreciate there's no account access - but is there a general timeframe or does it vary a lot depending on what the issue is?

Is there a pre-install survey carried out before hand - or will there be nothing before install day?

It's very frustrating - considering I'm autistic and was hoping the EE Full Fibre would be a solution.

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@RachT123 With regards to the FTTP install, with your current Virgin installation do you have a current landline phone supplied by virgin media, there may have been an original BT telephone connection but not having a newer style Master Socket as this all depends on when the original cable was installed. Sometimes the sockets are close by each other and although they are meant to not touch each others equipment the cable could be behind the current master socket but disconnected from the OR / BT network. So unless you know that there has never been at anytime an older BT connection you would not want to go back to older cable connection anyway and probably OR would not even consider doing this now with the fibre taking priority over older cable. With blocked duct it could be anywhere between the fibre main duct path, or duct to the property, you would have been given the estimated install date, but as advised previous as Virgin and OR are different company's you just keep the current internet going until the EE fttp service is fully installed and operational, there will be an overlap and you will have (2) services for a short time period, but unless you want to guess when and where the switch over can happen that is the gamble you would have to take.  

@RachT123 wrote:

Appreciate there's no account access - but is there a general timeframe or does it vary a lot depending on what the issue is?

Whilst there are target timelines, as you have said the checker warns of a congested duct it would be wise to consider delays may occur.

Is there a pre-install survey carried out before hand - or will there be nothing before install day?

A pre survey has been done, hence the warning of a congested duct. Perhaps if you post the result of the BTW DSL Checker, hiding your address, we could help with more info.

It's very frustrating - considering I'm autistic and was hoping the EE Full Fibre would be a solution.

I can only guess what you mean by this.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 083558.png

RachT123
Investigator
Investigator

It's all just really frustrating when I'm having issues with a poor BB connection and had 4 VM tech visits which haven't resolved anything - and now there's an issue that could delay the FTTP install.

So if there is an issue, will this now not be picked up until install day?

-SRB-
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Until OR do a survey, there isn't really anything you can do and nobody on here can help with that. I have neighbours who have been waiting on an install since last year, it's being held up by a OR pole which needs replaced. OR did the internal work in the house, and even fitted the box on the outside, but can't run the new cable to the property until the rotten existing pole is replaced. As advised, keep your VM service until you have the other one up and running.

@RachT123  Looking at the checker, it says one stage, so the expectation is that only one visit is needed to your premises.

Depending on where and how far the congestion is the installation team may well be able to clear the congestion with rods, but until they try they will not know.

But what issues are you hoping this will fix? Is it your WiFi connections, or speed over Ethernet/congestion?

RachT123
Investigator
Investigator

WiFi  has disconnections and buffering issues

Speeds are just terrible and there is also a line issue.

On Ethernet, the latency/jitter in games is terrible.