cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continued VOIP Issues In My Area (Over 4G and Broadband)

RwanNawr
Investigator
Investigator

Since the 1st of October, my VOIP software has not worked via EE Wi-Fi, ethernet or mobile data hotspot in my home location (NP12). Calls do not seem to be given priority. Up until the 1st, this was working 99% of the time (with the occasional service dropout).

My mobile data hotspot has been tested in a different location (CF3) and it returns to normal and performs as expected.

Is there a specific networks team that can check a switch in the area that would be impacting VOIP software over broadband and the mobile network?

22 REPLIES 22
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is this mobile or fixed Broadband? 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RwanNawr  If your broadband is a fixed line broadband then you’ve just proven the issue isn’t with EE as 4G has nothing to do with your fixed broadband it’s two different systems.    

This issue occurs when on my fixed EE broadband and my EE mobile hotspot (tethering from my mobile).

Unfortunately, it appears there is some link.

The performance issue I experience with my VOIP is exactly the same either when on EE broadband or tethering to my EE 4G hotspot at home.

I have a secondary phone with Vodafone 4G on which I have tested the mobile tethering, and there is no issue. Calls are prioritised, and I can use it as normal.

If I travel to my office (which I now need to), and tether to my EE mobile hotspot there, there is no issue. Calls are prioritised, and I can use it as normal.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RwanNawr,

Have you contacted your VoIP provider to see if they identify what is causing the issue?

James

Part of my investigation has involved raising an incident through my VOIP provider.

However, because I can demonstrate that there is no issue in the office, or when using my Vodafone 4G, or when tethering to my EE mobile data in a different location, they have concluded that this is a local network issue.

I work for my company's IT department, and our conclusion is that that VOIP traffic is not being given priority. I do accept the improbability that both the broadband and 4G would be affected, however it would appear that is the case.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RwanNawr,

Do you have any speed test results from the location you are having the issue in?

James

What is the device that your VOIP software is installed on? That will equally be a common factor at your home location. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

OpenReach have visited the property and confirmed there are no issues isolated to the line at the house, and their own speed tests demonstrated I was getting above my guaranteed speeds.

The last speed tests I have are below:

Work device (Over VPN):
Ping: 29ms
Download: 32.3mbps
Upload: 15.4mbps

Personal Device:
Ping: 13ms
Download: 73.6
Upload: 17.2

These speed tests have been consistent for over a year, and did not change after my router was swapped out.