cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continued VOIP Issues In My Area (Over 4G and Broadband)

RwanNawr
Investigator
Investigator

Since the 1st of October, my VOIP software has not worked via EE Wi-Fi, ethernet or mobile data hotspot in my home location (NP12). Calls do not seem to be given priority. Up until the 1st, this was working 99% of the time (with the occasional service dropout).

My mobile data hotspot has been tested in a different location (CF3) and it returns to normal and performs as expected.

Is there a specific networks team that can check a switch in the area that would be impacting VOIP software over broadband and the mobile network?

22 REPLIES 22

Have you done Trace Route to the server - have you tried changing your IP at home - do you have sufficient bandwidth at home - have you tried from another EE Home broadband location?

Hi @RwanNawr ,

It feels like relevant information is being gathered to debug the issue. Would it make sense to ask around informally to find another EE customer in your company who could help test to see if they also have the issue in order to better isolate the problem?

It occurred to me over lunch that if the service provider has made a simultaneous change to both its mobile network and its broadband network, or to some component common to both, which has caused VoIP via a VPN tunnel to break, we would expect a higher number of reports to appear on these forums, which we currently do not.

Because of this, I feel it's important to identify a randomly chosen other EE customer within your company to see if they see or do not see the issue (as you've noted one EE customer has a different issue so should be excluded from the proposed test).

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Basically EE aren't interested that VOIP phones do not work. I have a softphone and a deskphone on my own cloud hosted server. These both worked perfectly over EE 5gee (landline BB too poor here) up to about a fortnight ago, using a IP v4 only APN setting. When they stopped working I noticed that the IP address being issued from EE had changed to a totally different range (31.x.x.x) - the phones still rang but there was no speech path; however if i conected my desktop PC to my VPN the softphone worked pefectly, proving it was ports being blocked by EE. After a very long convesation with EE faults yesterday, with me explaining that i needed ports 6000-40000 UDP for my speech paths, they stated that they could no longer provide this. I explained that, in that case, it was not fit for purpose and that they should let me out of contract early, so i could move to o2 or similar where my VOIP phones will work. They agreed to end my contract early.  o2 here I come.