Cat 8 Ethernet

ANM8
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I've just recieved a new EE Smart Router as part of an upgrade to Fibre, I need a longer ethenet cable to connect to my TV, the only one I have is a 3m Cat 8 ethernet cable. My question is will this work OK, I don't mean at Cat 8 speeds, I just mean will it work at normal speeds.?  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@ANM8   it should work fine.

You may even want to use it between the ONT and router if that helps move the router to a better place.

Cheers, I've actually got two Cat 8 cables, so if I used 1 from the openreach socket to the router and 1 from the router to the TV that would be OK.?   Also is there any reason the 2 supplied EE cables are different colours.? Cheers

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The router is supplied to customers with G Fast and Full Fibre, the G Fast customers need a DSL cable, Full Fibre an ethernet cable. I imagine they make sure the right cable for the service are included before dispatch. The factory traditionally send the routers with an ethernet and DSL cable. 

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @ANM8 

Running from the router should work fine. 

You might want to consider powerline adaptors to save the distance.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
ANM8
Investigator
Investigator

The 2 supplied cables look exactly the same except one has red ends and the other yellow.. I only ask as the instructions say connect the red lead to the WAN port.,🤔

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The connection between the ONT is 1Gbps so needs a good spec cable, there have been reports of lower speeds when using an old cat5 cable. So just their way of making sure you use a decent cable.

But Ethernet, as you propose, would be better.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
  • The yellow-ended cable is intended for the LAN, like to your TV.
  • The red-ended cable is intended for the WAN, like to the modem or ONT.

Sounds like you have upgraded to Full Fibre (FTTP) with an ONT.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)