cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband renewal

Theguru1
Investigator
Investigator

My Broadband & Phone is up for renewal we have ADSL 72mb and to be honest the router i(black one) sub-par always has been to the point i had to get a second router to get a better signal..getting better speeds! tried all the channels etc still slow speeds..

Now if i renew can i get a new router is the white one better?? we cant get full fibre yet...is the white one only for full fibre? or can i get it??

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Theguru1  have you tried relocating the router away from any electrical source If it’s near one?  I never had  an issue when I had one of these 

Theguru1
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks but i tested it right next to it...lol..on my third party router i get around 5.8-6.1MB on the EE router its 3-5mb its stable at times but slows down...

I work in IT so i have tried  anything it...Last year they mentioned about swapping he channels and trying different ports it worked for a bit and went slow again..

I had a second router spare and that works fine but of course having two routers seems a bit silly lol..now its up for renewal i was just wondering about getting a new white router as part of the deal..

oh i have moved as well no different..The speeds disconnects sometimes aswell on the EE when my daughter plays online games...

@Theguru1   your posts are very confusing.

You say you are on ADSL, but get 72mb - ADSL only goes up to 24Mbps

You are mixing MB and mb Megabits and Megabytes.

You do not say which black router.

The white router will not give you higher speeds, that is down to the distance you are from the exchange, and the quality of the modem and internal wiring.

WiFi speeds inside your property are your responsibility and can be affected by many things including building material and distance from the router - but also distance from the exchange.

A second router could be used as a WiFi extender, so not so silly.

Gaming or streaming on your line will affect other users on your network as your speeds are limited.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

You don't have ADSL if you are on a 72 Meg plan; you have VDSL2 (FTTC).

The white Smart Router won't give you any advantage & you won't be able to split the WiFi bands which is useful.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)