cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own router, can't connect through ethernet only

Marley3398
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to replace the EE hub with my own router, but coming across issues doing so. I am using the Mercusys MR90X router.

I can connect the new router to the EE hub itself via the WAN port, and this does work, however I then have two wifi networks. I have tried to connect the new router directly to the openreach wall socket Via ethernet, the same way the EE router is plugged in, but it doesn't work and says that the internet port is disconnected. 

Any ideas? I'm not very tech savvy so I have tried to see where I am going wrong but no luck. Can this router be directly connected or do I have to use the EE hub as a modem.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Marley3398  it appears your new router is just a router, whereas the one EE hs provided you is a combined modem/router.

Alas it is not possible to use the EE router in modem only mode.

Although not technically reccomended, you could switch off the EE routers WiFi, and connect your router as you did. Assuming you did not mean the WAN port on the EE router, it should be a LAN port, but depending on the router it may be switchable,

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You've bought the wrong router. It cannot replace the EE Smart Hub as it doesn't contain a modem. You would need to get a separate modem.

To replace the Smart Hub entirely you would need to get a ADSL/VDSL/maybe G.Fast modem router. Which EE BB product do you have?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to let me know, I did suspect this was the issue from googling but wanted to make sure before I went and made another purchase! 

Thank you for answering, feel a little silly not checking this before buying a new router! We have Fibre plus broadband (from what I know, unsure if there's a specific term for ours). Looks like I can get a new router that does include a modem also? rather that than have two separate things, but I will make sure to do some research before buying this time!

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

With Fibre Plus you need an ADSL/VDSL modem router

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)