Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT broadband full WiFi transfer to EE 1.6gbps

Letmeb00gey1
Investigator
Investigator
BT broadband to EE 1.6gbps

What a pain it has been to switch over to EE to get new router and faster speeds. Initially I was told they can order the 1.6gbps broadband from EE as I had by complete WiFi and i agreed only then after the phone call ended I noticed they simply transferred over like for like package on EE and found I then had to pay more not much but still £1 more. I was later told to let my order complete and I can then regrade and get the 1.6gb fibre from EE. I then checked on EE and it was still showing as I have the 900mb package. A few days passed, however  to my surprise it now shows I can get rhe 1.6 gbps package from EE. So when I called again to day I was told I can’t get it even though I am on full fibre fttp as the people on the phone said they can’t see the offer so can’t provide this to me  so firstly I was misled and missold what I was ordering then now their site doesn’t match it states I can get which is mis advertising. I have spent a number hours on the phone.

Letmeb00gey1_1-1698689414981.png

338 REPLIES 338

I spoke to BT openreach engineer. BT consumer keeps don’t understand the technology they are trying to sell and blame Openreach to deflect attention away from themselves. What I am told by Openreach is as long as you have fibre to the property you should be able to get the max speed, in reality no one knows what the max speeds the fibre can actually handle as it’s not even tested. The only restriction is the change of the module from the exchange and the Openreach Ont box which needs to have capacity of up to or above 2gbps. The only time the speeds will vary slightly if the cable became bent etc and the fibre cables are far more resistant than previous cables. So yes potentially everyone with fttp can get it. It’s down to BT to make changes. So in essence BT/EE consumer they are selling products that don’t exist for us unless you cancel you’re contract and try ordering the 1.6gbps however it maybe a risk in that by the time you cancel and wait for it close down and reopen a new one you will be without any service and at worst you go through the online ordering and may not even be able to order it anyway as they do a check. I am confused how they say you can’t get it yet it only takes an openreach engineer is called to go out to make adjustments/add module and then come to change you’re Ont 

infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It is pretty obvious that those who already have FTTP will be able to get the new higher tier speeds, regardless of whether you are currently with BT or EE.

The only thing that needs to be changed is your current ONT box as a lot of them will most likely still have 1gb WAN port, whereas the newer ONT boxes will be using 2.5gb WAN ports.

I too am a long time BT customer on FTTP 900, along with their Digital Voice service (ever since trials started for it), and also BT Mobile/EE Mobile, and have been eager to have the higher tier too.

I posted here in August about the new tiers too.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Landline/BT-Digital-Voice-to-EE-Digital-Home-Phone/td-p/1285...

However, as to regarding the new 1.6gbs tier speed, I am actually surprised that EE are actually advertising it to the general public as an option.

EE actually started promoting it in October 2023, although you could only get it by phoning them directly.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/10/ee-becomes-bts-main-uk-broadband-brand-launch-1-6gb-ft...

Seeing as this new tier is based on Openreach 1.8gbs tier, then note that Openreach are still in a pilot stage with this 1.8gb and also their 1.2gb tiers, it was extended in September to at least until 31st December 2023.

See here for more info about this:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/09/openreach-uk-extend-pilot-of-1-2gbps-and-1-8gbps-fttp-...

I supposedly can get it too if I go through EE, either as a new user or even when checking whilst logged into EE, which technically would still be new user for broadband with myself being on BT!

Although, until Openreach take it out of pilot stage and open it mainstream, I would hesitate at actually ordering it myself and fully commit to move broadband from BT to EE.

Unless you were one of the lucky ones to get in the original trials for it, then I would hold back until it is out of pilot testing phase.

If you look on the BT Community Forum, you will see that there are also similar posts to yours...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Broadband-to-EE-1-6Gbps-product/td-p/2322767

Although, note here on this forum post that there isn't a reply as of yet about them actually getting the newer tier and not just sitting waiting like some of you here.

It looks to me that you can order it through EE and have the new Smart Hub Plus (3.1 hub) and Wifi discs sent out, along with maybe getting a newer 2.5gb ONT fitted, however they can't physically put you on the 1.6gbs tier until Openreach take it out of pilot trials.

If anybody who was not in the original trials for it and has recently ordered it, please correct or update this post if you've ordered it and actually do have the 1.6gbs tier.

Also, finally note, that come 2024, both Virgin and Vodafone will be releasing their own higher tiers, both of which will be I think around 2.2gbs, so BT and EE won't be the fastest.

So, whoever you go with for your higher tier FTTP, I would wait until at least the start of 2024 before actually ordering it properly, just so that you know you are actually going to get it and not have to sit on the same tier and then wait for them to upgrade you in the future.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.

I’ll update you later this week @infinitywaiter . Fresh install no existing BT kit, 1.6gb order. Kit arrived yesterday, ready for installation Thursday AM.

i’ll post everything back to forums including pics of the type of ONT they install.

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What you'll get ONT side is probably what is already mentioned in old article here or very similar:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/06/isp-ee-uk-launch-1-6gbps-full-fibre-broadband-plan-and...

"...Openreach will need to install a new optical modems (ONT / ONU) – either the Nokia G-010G-T or ADTRAN SDX 611Q – inside your home..."

Obviously, the new Smart Hub Plus and any additional Wifi discs will be as advertised already by EE and everybody else.

You'll also note in that old article that it mentions about the Openreach pilot....

"...Firstly, there’s the introduction of that 1.6Gbps package, which is based off Openreach’s new 1.8Gbps (120Mbps upstream) tier (here). The pilot for that – taking place in Swansea (Wales) and Ipswich (Suffolk) – is currently due to run until 31st July 2023, which explains why EE won’t be formally launching their own package until later this summer..."

This is the pilot that has been extended until at least 31st December 2023, so I expect that nobody - apart from those in Swansea and Ipswich who were part of the original trial - can get access to Openreach new tiers until it has been taken out of the pilot stage.

Once you get everything installed and up and running, then please update this post, thanks.

If it is correct that only those completely brand new to BT or EE broadband are indeed getting access to the new higher tier, whereas existing EE or BT users who want to upgrade to the advertised higher tier, can't get access.

Well that really makes it pretty stupid on EE part to be advertising it as available to all general public on their website.

it should not be advertised and marketed until it is out of Openreach pilot trial stage, and open to everybody who wants it, and not just a select few.

New users who don't currently have any use of BT in their homes, will no doubt have a much easier transition to the new higher tier.

Those coming across from BT to EE will have more fun, like myself with having BT Digital Voice and yet being told by EE that, currenty as of now, I can't get their equivalent Digital Home Phone service, even though it is the exact same thing and I've had it ever since trials started for it!

The same with those with BT email, change to EE broadband and you have to put up with basic webmail access only, want same access before like through BT Mail app or Outlook etc, then you'll need to buy BT Premium Email sadly.

It is all well and good BT staying business related only and moving everyone eventually to EE as they make it their consumer arm, however to do this EE should already have access to everything that BT currently offers.

Why they need to have BT and EE as two seperate companies and entities is pretty silly too, more confusing for some people in the long run who are used to the BT brand and services etc.

However, this is taking this post off onto another tangent, so I'll stop now!

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.

Thanks for you’re reply, i understand and in my case they allowed me to order the 1.6gbps but then found out they had only upgraded me from BT full fibre complete WiFi to EE equivalent of the same package and even after confirming it it by their sales, only discovered the issue after I had received the email. That’s been sorted now and transferred my account over to EE. I have managed to to get my digital phone working all I had to do is re-register my handset to the new WiFi and is working fine

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@infinitywaiter wrote:

This is the pilot that has been extended until at least 31st December 2023, so I expect that nobody - apart from those in Swansea and Ipswich who were part of the original trial - can get access to Openreach new tiers until it has been taken out of the pilot stage.

Not the case. The EE 1.6gbps product is much more widely available, although as you've alluded to, there's work to do to before it's a viable upgrade path for existing BT/EE customers.

An ONT with a 2.5GbE LAN port would be installed as part of the service provision.

I don't have the 1.6gbps service, but I do have an ONT with a 2.5gbps LAN port: -

PXL_20231105_215046092.MP.jpg

I also had this same exact scenario.

Rang up BT/EE and said I want to move to the 1.6 EE service as it was showing as available on EE website.

They did the same thing as other posters have mentioned - moved me to the like for like 900Mbps EE package from the BT one which I was on, then told me they couldnt move me to the 1.6Gbps package as they weren't able to see it on their system.

I ended up placing an order for the 1.6Gbps package via the EE website as if I was a new customer, and have booked the engineer appointment for the 16th November (as they will have to replace my old ONT with one that has the 2.5Gb ethernet port).

I also received a text message from EE saying they've received a notification that I am leaving their service etc.

Will see how it goes but basically if you want the 1.6Gbps service you need to order it as if you were a brand new EE customer as they currently have no way of upgrading an existing package to it.

At least by migrating from BT to EE first, I already have the smart hub plus ready for when the 1.6Gbps service is enabled.

Despite me ordering as a new service and them texting me about leaving EE to goto 'another provider' I hope they don't do something silly like request a return of that equipment just for them to send out the same equipment again.

TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So I’ve been on the phone this morning. I have been told that the 1.6Gbps package will not be available to anyone until March 2024. EE have had an internal meeting about the matter and anyone who has already signed up to the package transferring from BT or another ISP will not be allowed to go on the busiest home bundle until Openreach take it out of the pilot stage as it’s only available in a couple of locations currently in testing. I was informed that it’s coming out of the pilot stage in December. The advisor apologized for the experience I’ve received coming from BT with the prospect of upgrading to the 1.6Gbps package and being lead to believe that I could upgrade. But I’ve been categorically been told it’s not available for new or existing customers to upgrade to. I told the advisor about the EE community forum and was told customers with an existing order will not be allowed on the new package. Take that how you will that’s what I’ve been told I now have 14 days from today (cooling of period) to look for a new ISP. I’m in two minds what to do now. Stay and upgrade in March or go with someone else. 

That's strange considering I ordered the 1.6Gbps package and they have confirmed the engineer visit:

michaeladamson_0-1699281474459.png

I'm still very much in the 'wait and see what happens' camp though..

I don't put much stock into what their customer advisors say. The first time I rang to ask about it the person went to ask their supervisor who was insisting that the 1.6Gbps service was a 'legacy product and not available anymore' 🤣

Yep @michaeladamson  Me too - seamless fresh order, and email stating my expected1.6 gb speed, got my engineer visit for it this week. So will let you know.

expected speed.png

They're still advertising it on the website as available to order as well.

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.