Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT broadband full WiFi transfer to EE 1.6gbps

Letmeb00gey1
Investigator
Investigator
BT broadband to EE 1.6gbps

What a pain it has been to switch over to EE to get new router and faster speeds. Initially I was told they can order the 1.6gbps broadband from EE as I had by complete WiFi and i agreed only then after the phone call ended I noticed they simply transferred over like for like package on EE and found I then had to pay more not much but still £1 more. I was later told to let my order complete and I can then regrade and get the 1.6gb fibre from EE. I then checked on EE and it was still showing as I have the 900mb package. A few days passed, however  to my surprise it now shows I can get rhe 1.6 gbps package from EE. So when I called again to day I was told I can’t get it even though I am on full fibre fttp as the people on the phone said they can’t see the offer so can’t provide this to me  so firstly I was misled and missold what I was ordering then now their site doesn’t match it states I can get which is mis advertising. I have spent a number hours on the phone.

Letmeb00gey1_1-1698689414981.png

338 REPLIES 338

Awesome, fingers crossed the engineer actually turns up and it gets activated as expected 🤞

johnels791
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@michaeladamson , How did your install go today? 

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
Previously EE 900Mb/110Mb
Asus Axe11000 Zenwifi Pro Et12

Didn't go too well unfortunately.

He tried to install the new ONT with the 2.5Gb Ethernet port but was having trouble getting it activated.

After him being on and off different phone calls with people including being on hold to some helpline for half an hour he came to the conclusion that the new ONT unit was faulty.. and of course it was the only one he had.

So off he went to source another one then a couple of hours later texted me to tell me that he wasn't able to get his hands on one today but will pick one up tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed he gets it in the morning and the activation works ok!

The ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 router I ordered to allow the 1.6Gbps internet to be connected via ethernet doesn't come until tomorrow anyway so I'm not overly annoyed about the delay, just a bit worried if it will work and if the reason it didnt work today was really due to the faulty ONT or something else 😑

johnels791
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Fingers Crossed he can get to working tomorrow for you. 

I managed to get my order placed today for the second time, hoping to have it up and running on the 30th Nov. 

Let us know how it goes tomorrow! 

miggle
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@michaeladamson  Good luck, any issues with that router let me know, exact same model as the one I'm using. 😉

Engineer came out this morning and installed new ONT- all good now and up and running :).

New router hasn't arrived yet so I can't test the full ethernet speed, but over wifi I'm currently getting 1.5Gbps download on the phone speedtest.net app

johnels791
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@michaeladamson Did you manage to get the kit up and running with any tests? My kit arrived yesterday and with any luck engineer should be out Thursday. 

michaeladamson
Contributor
Contributor

hi @johnels791 

yeah it's working great 🙂

using speedtest.net :

On the EE Smart hub plus I was getting around 1500Mbps download when connected on Wifi and about 914Mbps on wired ethernet (the smart hub plus only has 1Gbps ethernet ports).

With the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 that I replaced the smart hub with, I consistently get 1500Mbps+ (ranging from 1520-1560) on both wifi and ethernet. This router has 2x 10Gb ethernet ports, a 2.5Gb port and 4x 1Gb ports.

TuckerUK
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Surely that’s an oversight on EE’s part?. They can’t sell a 1.6Gbps package then only get 1Gbps over Ethernet wow. Maybe it’s a good thing I couldnt get that package coming from BT. It’s pointless if you can’t use Ethernet and max out your connection. 

Yep, a bit annoying..

They probably justify it by assuming that most people use wifi instead of ethernet.

They're also supposedly working on a new Wifi 7 capable smart hub for 2024 - https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/21/ee_touts_nextgen_broadband_smart/