cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Digital Voice to EE Digital Home Phone

infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Being a longtime BT user, we currently have FTTP with 900 option.

We also have had BT Digital Voice since pre release trials and have multiple Essential and Advanced with Alexa phones dotted around our house.

We have everything BT apart from our latest mobile contracts since last year, as obviously those are now through EE mobile and not BT mobile.

With EE finally releasing their equivalent to BT Digital Voice, I was intrigued to see the costings for it if I went through the order process of switching over to EE Broadband and Digital Home Phone.

However, I'm surprised to find that we are not allowed to order EE Digital Home Phone as it is unavailable for us, despite us being FTTP and having BT Digital Voice for ages already.

I can understand not having a landline due to being on BT Digital Voice, however it seems stupid that I can't access EE equivalent to Digital Voice immediately. 

Also, take it we can easily keep our existing BT Digital Voice number, which was our original landline number, on switching over to EE Digital Home Phone?

Will be silly to have to be given a new number as we don't have a landline due to being on BT Digital Voice, especially when EE would just be using the exact same setup.

Can also take it that our existing BT Digital Voice phones should all work on EE too, the only changes I can see would be the branding on phones changed from BT to EE.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@infinitywaiter  Other than an ISP review and a link to the t&c’s not much seems to be available online.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/08/broadband-isp-ee-quietly-launch-uk-digital-home-phone-... 

@Mustrum Yes I had seen them thanks

It has also been posted up in EE own home phone info pages here:

https://ee.co.uk/help/home-phone

Obviously it is near enough the exact same wording as BT Digital Voice was/is....

https://ee.co.uk/help/home-phone/getting-started/introducing-digital-home-phone

https://ee.co.uk/help/home-phone/getting-started/introducing-digital-home-phone#article-mobile-3

There was a telephone number to ring to also see if eligible for EE Digital Home Phone, although I can't seem to find it now with a quick look for it.

With BT pushing consumer/residential through EE now, I was just looking for costings compared to staying with BT, until they eventually move everybody non business to EE.

Our contract isn't up until early 2024, so plenty of time for EE to sort things out with all of this, however I was also looking as, fingers crossed, the higher tier of 1.8gb would be released to the general public along with the new ONT and Smart Hub 3.

We know that new customers are already getting the new Smart Hub Plus (v3.1), so would like to get this too, albeit with the 2.5gb Wan port for the higher tier.

We already have BT Whole Home Wifi Premium and WHW Wifi 6 discs (again both since pre release trials, however these are discontinued by BT, although working perfectly for us) and would expect these to all work fine with the new Smart Hub 3.

BT Business users already have Smart Hub 3, however that is another subject and not for this thread.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.

@infinitywaiter   thanks for the extra links. I have just renewed my contract and had been looking and asking about EE's plans for digital voice and had not found anything. So pleased to see they are at last doing something.

Although having said that, I think it is still quite restricted, tried on my line but it is not available, also in my son's area as he has access to full fibre, nothing there either.

The number you are looking for is in the T&C's :

4. Customers with compatible broadband services are eligible to take our Digital Home Phone
service, but not all broadband services will support it. To find out if you can have a Digital Home
Phone service call 0800 0798586.

Though it may be a blessing your contract is not due up yet, they may need some time to get the teams up to date.