cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 hrs of outages

chrisd0407
Contributor
Contributor

IPSWICH IP3 - Had several outages in the last 24hrs. Some sessions lasting no more than 10 mins, the odd one 45 mins. Windows network reset, router reset, checked for viruses, even went VPN for a while to see if my IP was beeing targeted. Any known problems in this location?

19 REPLIES 19

Unfortunately not, but our problems are likely to be different.  I am still getting frequent disconnects, about half a dozen this last two hours. My networking knowledge is limited but I just had a look at my router logs which are showing a lot of overnight Multicast event client join group (which I have seen on here can be a problem) & have just discovered most are coming from a netgear wifi extender I have in my roof space connected to a CAM outside. Had problems with it anyway so I dissconected the setup. Was trying to connect while I was having another outage.

I guess my question is, "could this have been causing my regular outage problems" ? If my next session lasts longer than an hour I'm hopeful.

EDIT. Short answer, NO. Outage 10 minutes later.

@chrisd0407   if you are looking at router logs, are you able to use the filter and just show the WAN log. From them you should be able to see how often and for how long the drops are.

Unless  you can tie the multicast events directly with WAN drops they are unlikely to be the cause of your issues.

Didn't spot the filter which might come in handy. Appears to be correct re the multicast events, had several outages since my 9am post. I will be getting back to the engineer who called me yesterday but will leave for a couple of days (in the hope it might correct itself) as am away all day tomorrow.

@Jon999 : Unless you live in same area as OP your BB issue will have no connection with theirs  but specific to your own line.

If it is a neighbourhood issue, you could consult BT Service Status to see if any faults are being attended to in your local area.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Still having the same problems which I will pick on the the enginer on Friday. Before I dissapear for the best part of 36hrs, is there any merit in upgrading my router, to say what it calls it's new Smart Router on the EE website? Mine is the previous grey model I have had since 2018. Only reason I ask is that Openreach full fibre cabled between polls about a month ago on my road and I just wonder if any service tweaks might have resulted in problems with older routers.

Doubt it but which old router do you have?

If you get Full Fibre, you can use any router; it doesn't need a modem.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

This one.

This oneThis one

That's a Smart Hub. No point in switching to the white Smart Router unless you move to G.Fast BB.

chrisd0407
Contributor
Contributor

Last 24hrs. Rock solid connection. I'm guessing it might have been related to my line not coping with data throughput. The router was showing around 50Mbps download sync speed & all the subsequent outages. Now it's been reduced to 42Mbps & a slightly lowered upload sync.

@chrisd0407  no that would not be related to data throughput.

DLM will have reduced your speeds to try and maintain a stable service.

You may be lucky and it will stay like that, but if there is an intermittent fault chances are it will come back until the real reason is found and rectified. A joint being moved by the wind and/or rain on top of a pole or any number of things could be the cause.

Hopefully it does not come back any time soon though..