cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

"Ready to Connect When Network Quality Improves"

FiFirefly
Investigator
Investigator

I urgently need help having set up my new router with EE today. Having big issues with the connection to my phone and the range.  Laptop, ipad and TV appear to be ok. However, my mobile is failing to find the router on the Available Networks list from 1 room away. (I was told the range was 250m and I'm no further than about 15m away). The router cannot be placed badly as my other devices seem to be ok. When it finally does appear on the list and I connect to it I end up with the message "Ready to Connect When Network Quality Improves" repeatedly.  Really really disappointed I'm having problems already on Day 1! Was really hoping joining EE would be a smooth process. I have tried to speak to a technical agent on Live Chat this evening but the chat simply ended half way through and now wont let me re-join. I'm not sure what to do! I need WiFi on this device urgently for work. I have very poor 4G signal on my phone which is why the WiFi is essential. Please please let me know what to do.  

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which router? Which mobile?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi there,

Smart Hub and the phone is Samsung Galaxy S10. Had the phone about 18 months and it connected with no trouble to TalkTalk up to when I switched networks today. Husband is on EE also, I believe his is an A80 and it works just fine. I was guided by EE tech support to Reset Network Settings - that didnt work. Also tried reconnecting with Mobile Data off - didn't work. In fact it sometimes says Failed to obtain IP address when I try different things.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FiFirefly

Welcome to the community.

Do you have any problems connecting other devices to the Smart Hub from similar ranges or is it just the phone that has this problem?

Chris

Hi there ,

It is just the phone it would appear. My husband's phone seems fine but not
mine. Also my phone doesn't seem to receive a good strength of signal from
it on the brief moments it gets through. It's like the range on this router
is about 10m when it should be 250m.

Fiona
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

OK thanks, @FiFirefly

It may be worth backing everything up and restoring the phone to factory settings.

Chris

Brilliant. Day 1 of EE and I have to reset my phone to factory settings??
Absolute madness.

Can you see other SSIDs using your phone? Or do no wifi SSIDs show at all? (E.g. your neighbour is likely to have a wifi router that your mobile should detect.)

Is the working phone able to setup a wifi hotspot to see if the faulty phone is able to see the wifi hotspot?

That "Laptop, ipad and TV appear to be ok" and your husband's phone is fine would suggest whatever the issue, if there is an issue, lies with your mobile phone. 😀

Before resetting phone, you could additionally just put it in airplane mode, turn on wifi and see if you see any wifi access points at all. If you live in a built-up area there should be lots around and the wifi access points you see should match the ones shown by your husband's phone. Only by making a change such as a reset of some sort can you expect anything different. Be careful that you do not lose any unique and important data on your phone. I do agree that a full factory reset does seem to be rather excessive and I don't recall in the last decade needing to take such a step (perhaps just reboot first?).

Edit: has any configuration taken place on the EE router to disable the longer-range 2.4 GHz radio? Is there anything in the SSID name which suggests you are trying to connect on the shorter-range 5.0 GHz radio? (If the router has this functionality.)

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net