cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

iPhone Pro Max Broken Seal and fingerprints on it (DPD)

Ivorydom
Investigator
Investigator

I've seen this mentioned before here but I can't bump up the topic. 

I just received my iPhone 13 Pro Max today via DPD. 

As reported by others on this forum, the seal was completely broken and the phone had already fingerprints on the back and the sides. 

Clearly, the phone was opened and tampered with before sending it to me.

This is obviously a serious security issue- these phones hold all our personal information, credit cards, so it is unacceptable for a customer to receive an opened unit that has been tampered with. 

Given that I've already been waiting for almost a month for this to arrive, how does EE deal with this and why is it still happening since there were already reports about this from the end of September over here?

Could we get an official response, please? This is a very serious issue. I know that I should not use this phone whatever the case and it's already back in its box but another person might disregard this and start using an unsealed phone and this could be a serious security risk. 

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ivorydom   You’ll need to call customer services about this.   

But if you’re concerned about it having something on it that shouldn’t be there you could always restore the device to factory settings with a PC and iTunes and using DFU mode on the phone this will download a new iPSW from apple and install that on the device thus installing a clean OS on the device and removing everything else. 

@Chris_B , I did call customer services and hopefully it will get resolved.

However, they suggested I put the device straight back in the box and not use it.

The question is why this keeps happening when it's been reported and who opens those phones?

Being sent a device that's not sealed is unacceptable of course so I hope I will be sent a replacement asap.

What did customer services say? With the massive shortage of iPhones you’ll be lucky to receive another so quick? Hope it gets sorted for you! 

They promised I will get a phone call from fulfillment in 48hrs.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. My contract has already started rolling and just the thought of waiting another 3-4 weeks for the phone makes me really worried- let alone sending back the opened one etc. 

I will keep you posted. 

Just an update:

EE replaced the phone today- 150 were amazing with this. 

🙂

Happy to see you got it resolved!

@Ivorydom can I ask how you managed to get it replaced?

I've had the exact issue happen with me, however I contacted the exec complaints team and they've said I can either return it within 14 days, have my contract cancelled, then purchase a new one but that means another 28 day wait at least.

Or they said to refer to the ombudsman or even offered me the option of switching to another network! 

Absolutely shocking customer service from the complaints team! 

I'm having the exact same issue. DPD delivered it to my local post office which was weird to start with, no note through the door to say. My daughter got a text about it. Picked it up today and its been opened and has fingerprints on it, not mine. I called customer services, first guy was a **bleep**, told me we were special as we had been specially selected by apple to check the content. **bleep**?? Ended up hanging up and calling back. 

Being told that I should return it of I'm not comfortable but that I'll have to wait until they get it back to process the return then do a full new order. How is that fair? I inferred well in advance for xmas. Asked the agent would you accept an open box? No answer. Means my daughter won't get it for Xmas and we have been waiting weeks on it. It's her big gift.

Why are these boxes being opened? Sounds disgusting af is you ask me. 

They should send a new one and take back this opened one at the same time. Its only fair, I haven't done anything wrong.

Not prepared to do an exchange and those phones not in stock. 

Merry Christmas... not...

@Shelleyaitkenso I managed to get a resolution…

the complaints team were absolutely abysmal, I wouldn’t bother with them at all. They’d accused me of tampering with the phone and said there was nothing proving that I didn’t mark up the phone myself - which made no sense as it would only mean that I would have to return the phone just to be back in a queue. They were rude, condescending and genuinely made me want to leave EE.

However, I spoke to the upgrades team (where I had originally purchased the phone) and they said they had spoke to their warehouse department who confirmed that every so often, phones are opened and checked for quality control, hence the broken seal, finger prints and mag safe marks on mine. The rep apologised, and said I could either have a £30 credit on my phone bill, or he could arrange for the phone to be collected and exchanged for a brand new device via DPD. 

my advice - speak to the upgrades/customer service team as opposed to complaints! 
Hope you get it sorted!