cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

ZTE router only works with iPhone

Jmoouk
Investigator
Investigator

I have purchased a ZTE MF286D off Amazon to use with my 4G EE sim. It picks up brilliant speeds, but it only seems to work with my iPhone. When I try to use my Windows machine or Android phone it'll connect but only for certain sites and apps. Otherwise I'll get an error about being refused connection. 

Highly frustrating! 

I've double checked the APN, and tried flushing the DNS. I've tried switching from IPv4 but no luck. 

Am I missing an obvious trick? I just want a device with fast speeds that won't cost an arm and a leg... 

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It could be your Switching Content Lock OFF or ON . It is switched on on new & upgraded contracts & seems to affect social sites. If just switching it OFF doesn't help, try switching it to STRICT, reboot your device and then switching it to OFF. That is seeming to do the trick.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Not sure, seems to be working fine in another router and my other EE sim is doing the same in this one. 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Jmoouk.

I'd recommend giving the content lock a try to see if it helps, if it doesn't we can rule that out and try something different.

That's great advice from @XRaySpeX.

Jon

The content lock is certainly off.

As an aside, is it acceptable in EE's terms to use a 4G router with an unlimited PAYM sim?

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Can you try enabling content lock then disabling it again, @Jmoouk?

You can use the SIM in any EE device.

Jon

You can use any SIM in any device.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Beevamoose
Visitor

I have had confirmation form EE technical support that EE 4G Routers only work with phones, tablets and laptops they do not support Smart TVs and Security camera systems. So although they advertise this as an alternative home broadband system, this is not true and they don't know how to fix it. We were told to get a landline setup as EE 4G dosen't work with anything other that our mobile devices. Do not sign up you will regret it! 

It's not as straight forward as that, a lot of Security Camera will not work with Mobile Routers because they require a Fixed IP Address which is not generally how Mobile Router operate, some Camera Software or Apps can sometimes get around this though.

Most Smart TVs or Streaming Devises or Sticks have connection limitations on the WiFi Bands and or the WiFi Channel availability and some Devices eg, Netflix via Fire Sticks or Roku Devices don't seem to work well or have Connection issues due to the way EE use IPV6 on its Mobile Network, this issue can sometimes be resolved by setting the Mobile Router (if it lets you) to IPV4 Only.

On your Heading "Re: ZTE router only works with iPhone" as far as I'm aware EE don't supply or sell ZTE Mobile Routers so your need to check that one with ZTE.

Hi @Beevamoose ,

I use EE SIM-only in a Netgear MR1100 and this is fine with a Panasonic Smart TV for 4K HDR streaming and also using a Roku Streaming Stick+.

I've used 4G LTE broadband as my main house internet access for two years with Three and about seven months with EE.

Such a setup is not for everyone but where a wired line is not available, a person who is willing to look into things should be able to get a lot of functionality with CGNAT being the main blocker.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net