cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

VoLTE locked to EE?

bikeman74
Explorer

I’ve had a search, but can’t find the answer to this one.  If a phone originally bought from EE is network unlocked, can it use VoLTE on another network? 

Specifically in my case I’d like to give my son my old S10 to use with IDMobile. The phone is unlocked and gets good 4G signal for internet etc, but has to bump down to 3G to make a call and the 3G network is rather poor where we are.  VoLTE is enabled in the settings, but a thread here (click) suggests it may be due to EE’s version of the firmware.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @bikeman74 

An EE-supplied device will have EE-firmware on it, which may not always work with other network's/MVNO config.

Anytime your device/SIM combination doesn't support VoLTE then fallback to legacy-layers, namely 2G/3G is expected behaviour.

You may be able to flash the phone with alternate firmware for another MVNO/MNO.

Thanks @bristolian , that's my suspicion too.

I may have a look at flashing a rom, but my experience is that netflix, disney etc don't like it as the device is no longer secure (in their eyes at any rate).