cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unlock dongle

Mic444
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,  I’m currently abroad and I purchased a local sim for my wee 4g WiFi dongle.  It’s not working and it seems the dongle is still locked despite having it for over 2 years.   How can I get it unlocked without having to call EE and getting charged £1.80 per minute for that ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the device had been on your contract for at least 6 months, even if that contract has now been cancelled, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mic444 : Where did you yourself get this device itself originally? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or from a 3rd-party reseller or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different. Was it originally on contract or PAYG? How old is it? EE won't unlock contract devices less than 6 months old.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, thank you for the answer.  I bought it direct from EE over 2 years ago on a monthly plan 

If the device had been on your contract for at least 6 months, even if that contract has now been cancelled, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. 

Thanks again. Annoyingly it doesn’t work.  How can I chat to someone at EE, not over the phone but chat ?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mic444,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

What happened when you filled out the unlocking form?

James

Hi James. It said they don’t recognise the device being locked with them despite me giving them the IMEI

Leanne_T

Thanks @Mic444

In this case, we would need to get this looked into for you. 

You can find all our contact information on our get in touch page. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Thank you Leanne,  the chat doesn’t work when I try. It says it’s open but I have nowhere to start a conversation 

Leanne_T

Hi @Mic444

Thanks for coming back to me 

If the chat is not showing, you would need to give us a call and our Mobile Care team will be happy to help. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.