cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unexpected data usage

Rickee
Visitor

Help !

my wife has a modest (by some standards) 4gb data plan with EE.

Normally her monthly usage fluctuates well below the 4gb limit and is approx. 1gb (if that). We are fairly savvy with IT (we’re in our late sixties) and understand the mob data / WiFi issues to a degree I.e. using your data allowance to get internet when not on WiFi.

She is not a gamer, doesn’t stream stuff (films, music) to view, she occasionally surfs, uses WhatsApp occasionally for social use, uses Facebook also (but not like some !).

So, something has happened in that her data usage spiked recently and - unbeknown to her- has used up her data allowance big time.

Recently she downloaded some photos and it appeared that rather than using the connected WiFi, the app used her data allowance and she ran out.

This time I think a setting may have changed on her phone, but in all honesty, I have no idea what. She denies changing anything (scared to !) but something is wrong.

My guess is that the several settings or combinations of them are causing this drain.

Mobile data, background apps running, WiFi data usage, data saving - all could be culprits.

(I notice google playstore has gobbled over 1gb over the last few days but with no obvious reason).

... Can anyone suggest what settings she should have/not have to get a foolproof (!) default set for simply using WiFi when connected (like at home or logged in to a known WiFi ) but augmented by the use of her mobile data when not WiFi connected ?

Thank you (all) for your help and patience in my enquiry 👍

2 REPLIES 2
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Not sure what phone you have, but on iPhone's there is an option to switch off using mobile data on each app individually - you mention playstore so assume it's not an iPhone, but is there equivalent settings? 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Rickee ,

It sounds like automatic updating of software or automatic downloading of files such as photos.

Check Google Play to ensure it only downloads manually or using WiFi.

In settings, search "data" to find "mobile data usage". Which apps then account for the usage?

For metered connections you should be able to set a cap on the usage and a warning when you hit some lower limit. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net