cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Stadia, mobile data, and checking your connection

smxldn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Re: Issue with Stadia using mobile data.

I recently got Google's Stadia game service and have it working on wifi on my phone, a Google Pixel 3a. My issue is that when I try to use EE's mobile data (on 4g and getting an average 60mbps), Stadia ends up stuck with the message "Checking your connection". I spoke to Google and really cannot see the issue being on their end (after all, Stadia works great across various devices on wifi): it only has an issue when trying to play via 4g on EE.

Stadia's traffic goes via TCP/UDP: 44700-44899. It sort of seems like EE is not opening these ports when Stadia is requesting to access them in order to allow the Stadia gaming service to run and hence why I end up getting stuck with the "Checking your connection" message. Having said that (which is just an assumption on my part), I do know others who have successfully used the Stadia service on EE's 4g mobile data, so I know that it is possible and that EE does allow the service to operate.

Is there some sort of setting that EE needs to switch on for the service to operate? I'm on the monthly SIM Plan 50GB and the service to date has been great. I would really like to resolve this issue I'm having with Stadia but at the moment I'm struggling to get it resolved.

Help!

Thanks,

James

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Solution

TL;DR: Seems to be a hardware issue with my specific Google Pixel 3a model.

Further info

After using a 3 sim card in my Pixel 3a and it accessing the Stadia service via mobile data and my EE sim card failing to do so, I concluded that the problem must be to do with EE's network. Right? Wrong... The conclusion seemed logical but I jumped to it without doing some further important testing. I was also curious as to why practically no-one else was complaining about EE, mobile data, and Stadia's service. So, I managed to get another Android phone, a very old Moto model running Android 8, factory reset the phone and then put my EE sim into it and tried Stadia, both on Chrome and via the Stadia app too. And, to my surprise, it worked using mobile data... Flawlessly, and on my first attempt too. Huh??? I was confused... I tried another Android phone, again, same result: worked flawlessly... So there seems to be some sort of issue with my particular Pixel 3a. It still doesn't really explain why the 3 sim card worked, but life is short... My best guess is that the way 3 accesses its network versus the way EE does is slightly different in some way which I am not privy to. I did try going into the Pixel 3a's 'Settings' and chose 'Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & bluetooth' as I thought that maybe some kind of corruption had occurred with my network settings but doing this reset did not resolve the issue. Interestingly though, it did take a long time for the reset to run and it did not seem to complete successfully. Because of this I finally decided to factory reset the Pixel 3a and made sure that I did not restore from my backup, instead choosing a completely clean install. At this point I was sure that the Stadia service would not work. It didn't... Based on this I can only assume that there is some sort of idiosyncratic issue, probably hardware related, that is preventing the EE/Stadia/MY Pixel 3a combo from successfully running.

I was in the process of looking to upgrade my phone as I had the Pixel 3a for quite a while and this gave me the impetus to do so. I'm now using a Pixel 4a and can report that the Stadia service is running flawlessly using EE's mobile data.

I hope this post helps anyone else unfortunate enough to face the situation I did and save them some troubleshooting time along the way.

Cheers,

James

PS. Do note that I tried all the usual things before going down this rabbit hole such as clearing cache, data, reinstalling app, turning off accessibility, etc, all of which is good advice to try in the first instance!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @smxldn.

Welcome to the community.

If your mobile data is working fine for other applications, we would need to get this investigated further.

I'd recommend getting in touch with our Tech Gurus so they can investigate further and help you come to a resolution.

Jon

Hi @Jon_K ,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I got in contact with the Tech Guys and spoke to Jermaine in Tech Care. He advised that I come back to this post and request a member of the offline team to contact me (as they deal specifically with gaming).

Can you please progress this Jon?

Thanks,

James

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @smxldn.

We don't have a specific gaming department.

I'll send you a private message on here.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Jon

Hi @Jon_K,

I managed to speak to the offline team yesterday. They put me through to the tech team but they were unable to resolve the issue and suggested I update my community post asking for help. That seemed somewhat unhelpful given that I started off here, but the tech person did try and help although he was unfortunately less able than me.

I've since managed to isolate the problem to EE. I put a 3 sim card into my phone and using 3's service I was able to get onto Stadia using mobile data without any issue. This therefore eliminates the problem being Google and also eliminates the problem being hardware related (i.e. my mobile phone). The problem is with EE.

When using 3's service they obviously use their own access point name (APN) settings to give access to their network. Looking at 3's APN settings and comparing this to EE's APN settings, there is very little difference. I am attaching both to this post. The one thing that I noted was 3's APN MNC setting is 20 whereas EE's APN MNC setting is 30. This seems reasonable having looked further into this as 3 only has one MNC setting available whereas EE have five (three for T-Mobile and two for Orange, with 30 being the default). Further info about this can be found here (scoll down to United Kingdom and look for MCC = 234 coupled with MNC = 30 for EE).

Could someone now take a proper look at this issue? The above has narrowed the issue down specifically to EE.

Thanks,

James

APN settings:

3 APN Screen 013 APN Screen 013 APN Screen 023 APN Screen 02

EE APN Screen 01EE APN Screen 01EE APN Screen 02EE APN Screen 02

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for doing this, @smxldn.

Now that the issue has been narrowed down and appears to be on the EE Network, an investigation ticket will need to be raised.

I'm sorry to ask you to call again, but an investigation ticket would need to be raised by our Tech Gurus.

It sounds like you haven't spoken to them yet, or this would of been completed already. An investigation ticket would be the best way to come to a resolution.

Jon

Hi @smxldn ,

While you follow the above good advice, I think one thing to try is to add a new APN with the same EE settings before except that APN type be IPV4 instead of IPV4V6 (dual-stack).

I believe the Three APN that you have listed would give you a publicly routable IPv4 address so the above is worth a shot if only to see the effect, if any.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@Jon_K Will do Jon. Thanks.

@mikeliuk Thanks Mike: good advice. I did try this previously: unfortunately, EE does not seem to allow IPv4 anymore. When I set up the APN for IPv4 only, no data connection could get established. If you grab a sec and could test if that's the same issue for you, I'd appreciate it. Thx.

Hi @smxldn ,

That's a surprising result to hear as dropping from IPV4V6 to IPV4 is quite a frequent workaround on this forum.

In my case, I use a Netgear MR1100 and the EE configuration was delivered to the device automatically either via a database in the firmware or over the network from the service provider.

(As an aside, I also receive T-Mobile/everywhere and Virgin Media/goto.virginmobile.uk configurations but have never tried them as they appear to be legacy configurations.)

APN Name: EE

APN: everywhere

PDP: IPV4

RDP Roaming: IPV4

Authentication: None

Username: <empty>

Password: <empty>

I'm aware that other users require CHAP/PAP for authentication and the Username and Password fields filled.

I've previously seen the reverse that when I switch to IPV4V6, I lose connectivity and I currently suspect this is because the Netgear MR1100 does not support 464xlat or dual-stack properly (I believe modern Android and iPhones are fine with IPV4V6).

The Netgear MR1100 supports IPv6 on the WAN but not on the LAN which I think is so that they can claim IPv6 support but in practice I'm not aware of any configuration that could get meaningful IPv6 usage to work with LAN devices.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net