cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Re: Bad signal on Samsung devices

HollyJJ87
Explorer

I have experienced exactly the same problem. Since I took out a contract with EE in April of 2020 I have had nothing but problems, it all started not long after receiving my Galaxy s20 5G.

Firstly EE should have the slogan coverage nowhere, because their coverage is diabolical, worse than that of Vodafone, who I was with before.  I have spoken to loads of people and they all say exactly the same thing!!

So my mobile: it was cutting out calls after 15 seconds

wouldn't connect calls at all on times

The other person couldn't hear me but I could hear them

I would have 4G but as soon as I clicked the google internet icon it would completely cut out and say I had zero signal, and it took absolutely ages to download if I was lucky enough to have EE's famous coverage!!

it was horrendous, I called multiple times, they did diagnostic test, that didn't work, I went without a phone for days as it just didn't work but EE didn't give me a penny back of my extortionate bill.

I must have phoned EE over a dozen times, in the end I asked for them to cancel my contract as they are in breach of it, not providing the service they promised and me complying completely with all diagnostic test etc.  They said they can't do this, I asked for a new phone as this one was surely broke, They said they haven't had any problems from other customers!!! ( I see this is lie reading above threads), they told me to contact Samsung as it's nothing to do with them......................... I HAVE THE CONTRACT AND PHONE, EVERYTHING WITH EE!!! In the end I said I was taking it further and suddenly they wanted to help,  funny that!

They sent me out a brand new phone, the same make and model, it was fine for a couple of months minus the network coverage, because that was still iffy.

guess what! this phone has now started to play up again, the other day it completely stopped working, I had to call them up as it was saying no service, I went without a phone AGAIN BUT STILL PAYING FOR IT for a few days, we missed an important call TWICE from the neurologist!

EE when we rang said they couldn't fix it and then sent out a new sim!

So you see, for the last 20 months I have had nothing but problems with EE and I can tell you that as soon as my contract is up in April next year I will be moving back to Vodafone as not once did I ever have a problem like this with them.

9 REPLIES 9
jarkimond
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is your device trying to use 5G while you are having the signal issue?

If so, look in to locking it to using LTE/4G or lower (there are free apps that can do this).

5G doesn't penetrate well through walls, and the phone's internal cellular modem should account for this by failing back to 4G when 5G signal strength becomes to week to be viable.

I suspect this isn't happening for what ever reason.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @HollyJJ87 

It would be interesting to know what coverage indicators your phone is showing when you have problems, and whether it's always in the same locations.

Although 5G itself is perfectly capable of being used indoors in the same way as any other radio technology, I do suspect your device could be on the border between a weaker 5G service and stronger 4G one.

If you are able to temporarily lock your device to 4G for experimentation, the results would be interesting.

@jarkimond 

You should be able to change the settings on the phone under settings - connection- Network mode although if running EE firmware then this might not be an option. Equally EE firmware may prioritise the 5G network futher adding to the OP issues. 

@HollyJJ87 @ what does the EE network status checker say about possible issues in your area? 

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Mobile-Network-status/EE-Network-Coverage-and-Status-Checker/td-p/8330...

Maybe the OP is on the fringe of the network? 

Can you use EE WiFi called service? 

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-...

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

No, we tried this on one of the calls I made on the old device I had, we did the full diagnostic, tried turning things off and on again etc.

There isn't any 5G in my area at the moment, the closest is Swindon which is 40 minutes away, on the coverage checker it states I should have excellent 4G coverage in my area.

My signal and service problems aren't just concentrated to where I live, but most places I visit.

jarkimond
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Odd question, but do you have a case of any sort on your device?

We have tried all of this on more than one occasion with EE.

In my opinion the Samsung s20 devices must be a problem but to be honest as far EE's network coverage goes, it's horrendous.

I was with Vodafone for years before and never had a single problem, my daughter's contract is still with them that I pay monthly for.  The only reason I went with EE in the first place was for the deal I had. I will be going back to them once this contract with EE is up, they are awful.

@jarkimond yes but it one I bought direct from EE when I got the phone, it's a clear case that wraps around the curves of the phone.

@HollyJJ87 wrote:

My signal and service problems aren't just concentrated to where I live, but most places I visit.

If EE's network service were as bad as your experience suggests, in as many locations, then I would expect to see many more complaints. There's no evidence of that, which suggests there may be a fault with your device.

Do any friends or relatives also use EE, with whom you could compare your service?