cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Unable To Download Large Files While Using Hotspot To Other Devices

jellys42
Visitor

Hi All

Is there a way in which large files can be downloaded while hotspotting to other devices?

Basically I hotspot the kids Amazon Fire Tablets when away from the home WIFI but when they want to download new games, it just hangs and never downloads and have to find somewhere that has WIFI to continue the download.

Looking at the sizes of these downloads, they average between 250mb to no more than 1gb.  Yet I can stream movies on their tablets.  Just cannot download new games.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE on a 50GB data plan. I got this data plan because of needing to use hotspot.

Is there anywhere in the settings where I can turn off something that's possibly restricting my data.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jellys42  It’s a limitation of downloading but you should have the option to increase the download size within the settings of the play store.   Steaming doesn’t have this limitation. 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @jellys42 ,

Are the Fire tablets able to start the download and then hang part way through, or can the download not begin at all?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Play Store together with a lot of Device Download Apps have Settings where you can Restrict Downloads only over connected WiFi or wait untill a Wifi Connection is available.

The Setting Options are normally something like-.

Download Only over WiFi.

Download over Any Network.

Always Ask.

Go to the Playstore and the Kindle Device Settings to change this.

It's also possible that when using your Samsung in WiFi Hotspot Mode that Playstore, Samsung and the Kindles are detecting that the Connection isn't really a true WiFi Connection but it's a Mobile WiFi (sometimes known as a Metered Connection) and treets this as a Mobile Connection rather than WiFi so also check the above Settings within the Samsung, both within normal Network or Mobile Settings and any other Hotspot Settings, also check any Data Saver Setting is set to Off.