cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Phone use on wifi

ronecc
Investigator
Investigator

Does EE support wifi calling? I live in a poor reception area and with my current supplier, I can use my wifi if I need to call.

I notice that EE does not support wifi calling on PAYG. My current supplier does. When will EE join the club? My phone supports it.

6 REPLIES 6
Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

New and existing customers on EE pay monthly plans and existing small business customers can get WiFi Calling if you have a compatible device. It's not available on pay as you go right now. WiFi calling is available to all corporate customers on a 4GEE plan with a compatible device.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did find it is not available for PAYG customers. My second question was basically, why not? 3 can do it, so why not EE, I thought you were 'the best', or so your tv adverts say.

Also why is it so difficult to find how much you charge per minute, for a PAYG customer, to make a call.

As I stated, I live in a poor/none reception area and just need a phone that will work on wifi. Unfortunately 3 have their foibles as does EE by the sounds of it.

1. 35p / min call to UK no.
  2. No WiFi Calling on PAYG.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@ronecc wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did find it is not available for PAYG customers. My second question was basically, why not? 3 can do it, so why not EE, I thought you were 'the best', or so your tv adverts say.

Three & EE are different network operators. EE's 4G & 5G networks do indeed have much wider coverage, and generally perform better, than that of Three.

There's many additional services that EE offer, that 3 don't.

In the case of 4G-calling & WiFi-calling, there are legitimate technical reasons why EE PAYG customers don't currently have this facility.

@ronecc   While EE don’t offer WiFi calling on PAYG do they have a good network reception in your area as you say 3 doesn’t so would you need WiFi calling ?  Every network has pros and cons and your case 3 has WiFi calling on PAYG but a poor signal in your area.  EE doesn’t offer WiFi calling on PAYG but what’s the signal like ?  

@bristolian wrote:

In the case of 4G-calling & WiFi-calling, there are legitimate technical reasons why EE PAYG customers don't currently have this facility.

What are they? It's just a SIM with a plan. Other networks manage it with the same technology. Or do you mean commercial reasons?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)