cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

In need of help unlocking a Huawei B525s-23a Locked to EE

pjpr69
Explorer

Hi one & all. I know this has been covered many times before so please excuse me if you find this a bit repetitive. I recently purchased a 2nd hand a Huawei B525 router that is locked to EE but I want to use it with my Three sim card. Before purchasing I googled to see if it was possible to have the device unlocked so it can be used on any network. The google results showed that it was possible to unlock it by contacting EE customer services & paying a small charge of £8.99. I decided to buy the router on this premise. After purchasing I contacted EE customer services to try & get my router unlocked but they seemed a bit vague & in the end said it was impossible to do this as I didn't have an account with EE. I wasn't happy with this as I have seen many topics on here asking the very same thing with a happy ending/solution so I asked to speak to a supervisor to verify that this was the case. When I eventually managed to speak to the supervisor he initially said the same thing but gradually gave in & took some details from me to see if it was possible to get it unlocked. He said someone would be in touch with me within a couple of days about this but so far I have heard nothing. In the meantime I purchased an EE sim from Argos for £1, registered it with EE & topped it up. So now I have an account with EE. I tried to do the online unlock form but it didn't recognise the EMEI for some reason. I am now back to square 1. The router was previously owned by someone who used their EE sim in it. They bought the router directly from an EE shop, it is locked to EE because it works fine when I put my EE sim in but goes straight to SIMLOCK required when I put in my Three sim. I see there are a good number of solved cases on here that are very similar to this but it seems the solutions are done via PM so I guess I'm stuck unless someone could please help me out. Many thanks in advance of any help offered.

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

When you spoke to EE did they take the unlocking fee there & then? If not, nowt will come of it as it needs to be paid upfront.

Having an EE a/c for a SIM is not an a/c for the device itself. You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand devices.

To unlock a 2nd-hand device you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many devices sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the device from.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi XraySpex, many thanks for your input. I have followed your advice & an unlock code request has been generated. I will keep you informed as to what the outcome is.....

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & hope it soon gets sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)