cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

End of contract pay monthly

ericaneyy
Investigator
Investigator

Good evening,

In February 2022 my monthly contract with EE (phone+sim) will be finished. 

I’m not interested in upgrading so I would like to know from March what will happen to my EE Sim if I don’t upgrade. 

Thanks 

Erica 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @ericaneyy ,

Indeed, you can use a PAC to simultaneous implement the number transfer and cancel the old contract.

You should make sure that the new network provider has good service in the locations where you need it and there are incidents of people needing to immediately take a second PAC so they can leave a new network when it has bad service in their location but they were unaware. Others have accidentally cancelled and lost or put their number at risk of being lost.

As the PAC transfer takes a couple of days to action, realistically, you'll either pay a small early termination charge (should just be the amount you would have paid anyway, not a punitive fine) or might be Direct Debited for a whole month in advance that would need reconciling in the final bill.

You would need to check the terms and conditions for the best timing, hence my convoluted mention of going via PAYG if procrastination is required.

At a guess, the best timing is probably any time after the last bill is raised but before the next bill is raised, the early termination charge should then be the amount unused without any further charge (EE in principle should then partially refund the last month's VAT in the final bill).

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/managing-and-using-my-account/leaving-ee/what-is-a-pac-code

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @ericaneyy ,

Although it's listed by EE in various places as "End of contract", it is actually the end of the minimum term period and the service will move onto a rolling one month basis. This is because it would be highly inconvenient to automatically disconnect people or permanently remove their important personal number if they forget to take some action.

You can call EE to request that your SIM is moved from pay monthly contract to Pay As You Go so you can continue to receive incoming calls and have time to port the number if you wish.

If you no longer care about your number, you can give your 30 days' notice to cancel so that it coincides with the end of the minimum term period. I highly recommend that you unlock any device in advance of using a SIM from a different network.

Another choice is to upgrade to SIM-only as your current cost is likely higher due to the phone and that component of the price mostly remains if you take no action.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

Thanks for your reply! It really helped me to understand. 
What if I simply transfer my number to another operator at the end of my contract? I’m not interested to stay with EE anymore.

thank you 🙂 

Erica 

Thanks @mikeliuk for your reply! It really helped me to understand. 
What if I simply transfer my number to another operator at the end of my contract? I’m not interested to stay with EE anymore.

thank you 🙂 

Erica 

Hi @ericaneyy ,

Indeed, you can use a PAC to simultaneous implement the number transfer and cancel the old contract.

You should make sure that the new network provider has good service in the locations where you need it and there are incidents of people needing to immediately take a second PAC so they can leave a new network when it has bad service in their location but they were unaware. Others have accidentally cancelled and lost or put their number at risk of being lost.

As the PAC transfer takes a couple of days to action, realistically, you'll either pay a small early termination charge (should just be the amount you would have paid anyway, not a punitive fine) or might be Direct Debited for a whole month in advance that would need reconciling in the final bill.

You would need to check the terms and conditions for the best timing, hence my convoluted mention of going via PAYG if procrastination is required.

At a guess, the best timing is probably any time after the last bill is raised but before the next bill is raised, the early termination charge should then be the amount unused without any further charge (EE in principle should then partially refund the last month's VAT in the final bill).

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/managing-and-using-my-account/leaving-ee/what-is-a-pac-code

-- 

@ericaneyy : A few days before your contract term is up, as you want to keep your number, text PAC to 65075. It will respond with your PAC. Give the PAC to new provider. This will have the effect of cancelling your EE contract.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Wow @mikeliuk thanks a lot for all the explanations! Thanks for taking your time to write me down everything. I really appreciate it. Thank you