cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE intermittent 4G mobile data connection dropout walking outdoors

perseus777
Investigator
Investigator

I noticed since the last few weeks (perhaps since 5G rollout) in my area, whenever I on whatsapp call over 4G/5G data connection, the connection drops as I'm walking outdoors. The signal strength remains strong (5 bars) and the it only happens in certain areas and only with data connection. 

I am also monitoring the data connection dropout by pinging an internet server, the ping drop is in-line with the whatsapp call dropout. The dropout lasts 3-5 seconds and connection reinstates automatically.  

I'm using Oneplus 8 Pro phone with latest android version and updates. 

I have also tested with voice calls (over mobile network) and these are not affected. I have tried switching off 5G in my phone settings and 5G smart switching however the issue still remains.  

Amy ideas what's going on.

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @perseus777 

Welcome to the community

WhatsApp calls, as you're probably aware, aren't carried over the mobile network as voice calls but just as data sessions.

If you're seeing the data connection momentarily drop and then regain automatically, this could be the phone experiencing a handoff between multiple network sites.

These are normally instantaneous, but there's all manner of reasons why a short dropout can sometimes be experienced.

That's exactly what I think is causing the dropouts.

I used to be able to walk in the same area a few months ago and use whatsapp calls with no interruption or intermittent dropouts. What has changed and what's causing these issues. 

I have a suspicion that 5G rollout has contributed to this issue? I really need this fixed or would have to switch my service provider. 

The obvious suggestion is to use your phone's voice dialler for voice calls. With most mobile plans having quite generous (if not unlimited) call allowances, then apart from some very specific scenarios there isn't much benefit from using app-based "calls".

You can check for, and report unlisted, network issues on the coverage & status checker - select "check network" rather than "check coverage"

I don't think my package includes unlimited call minutes for international calls which is why I use whatsapp in the first place. For UK calls I of course use the mobile phone voice calls.

reporting the issue, thanks for the suggestion.