cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

EE deleted my phone number, and never told me this was going to happen.

TomHoldenSharma
Visitor

So, my phone number has been deleted. No calls come through, no texts, I can't send texts and I can't call anyone - I can't top up my phone either.

I was never made aware of EE's hibernation policy, hence why this happened - but I was never made aware of this via EE texting me (like they say they do when the hibernation happens, or when they're about to delete your number).

I used to be on a Pay As You Go plan a while back, but after all my contacts moved to WhatsApp and iMessage I found that I was wasting my money by paying for credit on my phone when I never had the need to use it, so I stopped paying. I do - however - have an extremely important need to recieve texts and calls as most of my important accounts (Google, PayPal, Bank etc) all use 2FA codes that they usually send to me so I can access them. Then about a week ago, these codes just suddenly stopped being sent to me (I had no idea of the hibernation policy at this time).

After digging, I found that EE deletes numbers after 279 days of non-chargable inactivity. But in that post, they mention that EE will text you to let you know that your number will be recycled if you don't charge it. This never happened to me. I've gone through every text message on my phone and I can not find a message that could've alerted me to this. And it's not like EE didn't have my number, as almost every week I'd get promotional texts from them and package deals that they were offering. And now I'm in an incredibly irritating situation as I'm now going to have to get a new number, and attempt at contacting my accounts at getting my number changed which is no easy task.

Is it possible that I can just switch to a different carrier and have them transfer my number over? Or is my number genuinely just erased from existance. Thank god for FaceID, if that didn't exist I would be currently locked out of every account I need to access on a daily basis. But if my phone breaks, I'm going to be in an incredibly difficult situation.

3 REPLIES 3
wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@TomHoldenSharma  .. if this has only happened in the last week you should be able to call and get the number re-instated.  .. and remember to use it this time.😉

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TomHoldenSharma,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

That's great advice from @wardi. Please get in touch with Customer Care to reactivate your number.

Thanks

James

nick_ro
Investigator
Investigator

They don't need to let you know, it's in the terms and conditions and it's printed clearly in the sim pack. The Ofcom website has a page dedicated to the use it or lose it approach. This process has been in place since Pay as you go was launched way back in 1997.

Most networks have a inactivity period of between 90 and 270 days.

It's standard practice for all mobile networks to disconnect your service if you haven't used it for some time.

Ofcom puts service providers under pressure to issue and manage telephone numbers responsibly and this means disconnecting and eventually recycling numbers if they aren't being used.

It actually costs money to maintain your service on the network, so if you're not using it then you will lose it.