cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Changed mobile (O2 to EE on Samsung A52g) - cannot send/receive emails using BT

golflima
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All,

First post and it is a problem I'm afraid. I have just changed to EE from O2 and the BT Email App now fails to work - any ideas?

I can still get webmail going through the mob internet / MyBT, but the App fails to recognise my Login and Password - both are still recognised by my old (now sim card-less) mob and on my desktop; it therefore seems to be a prob with the BT/EE combination. 

Help please... 

Rgds

golf.lima

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What have you put as the Incoming Server settings (all of them) in your Mail app, obscuring your name?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response - because it's an App, I don't believe there are any settings to be entered or changed. You download the App (from 'Playstore') enter your email address and your password and the App does the rest....

As I said - the App runs fine on O2 but not on EE.

Rgds

golf.lima

... should have said - this is my first day 'live' on EE do things take a while to set up etc...?

Rgds

golf.lima

Hi @golflima ,

Do you see an error message which you can check against those shown at the below URL?

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email--help-in-understanding-errors

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

...thanks all for suggestions gives me faith in the EE forums. 

Using the BT email App and then deleting that and using the 'Blue Mail' App - BOTH return a email address / password not recognised - the Blue Mail helps with an error code of (3010) 'server returned No, invalid user name or password'...

I really don't want to go along the route of changing passwords multiple times but is this my only resort...? 

golf.lima

Just check that the email addy/pwd you are using with Mail apps are the same as when using BT Webmail.

What are the settings used in the 'Blue Mail' App?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @golflima ,

As a sanity check, please may I check whether you've already followed the below? Perhaps that information is now out of date?

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/setting-up-your-email

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Assuming this app uses standard IMAP or POP3 (the "universal" standard for receiving email), the connection you're using shouldn't matter for downloading email.

I would certainly expect outgoing emails to have issues when you change the method by which you connect to the internet - in this case, O2 mobile > EE mobile. Unless you specifically use a password in your outgoing email config.

The latter is in the nature of "SMTP" which is how emails are sent.

....SUCCESS - thank-you one and all.

Despite my email address & password combination working fine on every other device I own, I bit the bullet and changed my 'BT Mail' password using Yahoo on my mobile - AND IT WORKED....!!!!

It did mean however that I then had to change the password on all my other devices - but hey-ho - at least I can now get emails on my new mob.

I have also downloaded and am using 'Blue Mail' as it seems to be a far more user-friendly App to this dinosaur 🙄 

Thanks to all once again,

Rgds

golf.lima