cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Casting BT Sports stopped by BT

NeilS64
Investigator
Investigator

I have the BT SPORTS App and I recently added the facility to cast to a big screen (I have a Galaxy S21FE and a Samsung Smart TV). Two weeks ago everything worked fine. Last weekend the app wouldn't cast and the message on the screen said this was withdrawn by BT to reduce fraud. I have just found this on the BT website:

From midnight on 10 April 2021, you will no longer be able to use screen mirroring to cast BT Sport. This includes both wireless (aka Miracast, Samsung Dex, Screencasting) and wired (connecting an HDMI cable).

iPhone and IPad users will now need to click the Airplay icon in the top right corner of the app screen when watching the video, which will still work as normal. This is not available in the enhanced player, which will only be useable, directly on the device.

Android phone and tablet users who are casting their screen to a genuine Google Chromecast device or Android TV can instead use the Chromecast icon available within the standard player.  This function is not available in the enhanced player or in the Watch Together player, which will only be useable, directly on the device. Where not using a genuine Google Chromecast, users will need to use a device that supports BT Sport.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, we need to make this change to protect our sport streams from piracy under our rights agreement.

I contacted EE and got the following:
It (BT SPORTS App) will continue working for the mobile application. For the large screen soon you'll come to know about the new method 🙂

Does anyone know anything about this i.e. when and how?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorted. Thanks for the tip. I put the BT Sports app on my TV and after logging in everything is there. I thought the only method was casting! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @NeilS64 

Yes it was posted on the BT forums 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-TV-Online-player-or/The-way-you-cast-BT-Sport-is-changing/td...

Android phone and tablet users who are casting their screen to a genuine Google Chromecast device or Android TV can instead use the Chromecast icon available within the standard player.  This function is not available in the enhanced player or in the Watch Together player, which will only be useable, directly on the device. Where not using a genuine Google Chromecast, users will need to use a device that supports BT Sport.

How do you cast, do you use a Chromecast? Don't you have a VT sports app on your Samsung TV? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
My phone just automatically mirrored on my TV when U activated Smart View. Will take a look at TV apps. Thanks.Sent from my Galaxy

Not sure I made my issue clear.  I do see what BT put about android users but I can't see how that works. I see no icon as described. I connect my Galaxy phone to my Samsung Smart TV using Smart View (mirroring facility of my phone). I see my phone on the TV. As soon as I start the BT Sports app I get a (BT) message that mirroring is no longer permitted.

I contacted EE and was told this:

I’d regret to inform you that BT has stopped providing LARGE screen as of now.

You can also check the details from the BT website.

From now it will be only working in the mobile Application.

Soon they'll be coming with new option to watch it on the large screen.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @NeilS64 

Thanks for posting. 

Did you speak to our Tech Gurus on 150 for support on watching the BT Sport app on your TV?

If you don't have the icon showing, are you using the enhanced player? If so, have you tried the standard player instead?

The function is not available in the enhanced player or in the Watch Together player, which will only be usable directly on the device.

Our Help page has information on how to watch BT Sport on the big screen.

Leanne.

I did contact them. They were the ones who gave me the information that BT had stopped the service. I always used the BT Sports app . When going through the process of mirroring you I always chose the recommended 'Standard for Casting. If you do this now you just get an in screen message that this service is no longer available to combat piracy. The 'guru' suggested BT would be coming back with a new procedure for casting. My query is when. My large screen add on was removed by EE when I raised this as it no longer worked. I was just hoping someone knew when the service would resume.

Sorted. Thanks for the tip. I put the BT Sports app on my TV and after logging in everything is there. I thought the only method was casting! 

I am an angry EE customer of EIGHTEEN YEARS and I feel betrayed by EE and treated very poorly I own two very small devices apple and an android all last year 2020 I was casting from my android to my tv via

hdmi with no issues for an entire 12 months + no issue. For last two months I’ve been trying to watch football but kept getting error messages for no reason so I contacted bt sports and EE both told me they fix the issue only for me to find out via online forums that EE now charges for what was once free to me! I have no solutions to fix my issue from EE my tv to old cannot download bt app on it and I refuse to pay extra money on top of the £29.99 per month I pay now. I ask EE the bt sport service is no longer FIT FOR PURPOSE for me so delete bt sports from my account and reduce me back to my original offer of £25.00 per month without bt sports which was rejected by them so they happy for me to pay £29.99 for a service that is no longer fit for service for me as I can no longer cast and I refuse to be extorted to pay more money for something last year 2020 was free. I’m fully disgusted at the greed that I am seeing from EE. It’s like Netflix saying to you to now watch colour stream tv you have to pay an extra £4.17p or stick with black and white television stream the choice is yours. Huge stab in the back especially to loyal customers like myself. 

841785E5-F0F7-4CD8-8E66-11E2A7F2FA73.jpeg

AFCCEDDE-F42B-4A2B-B50D-37DC5AC156BA.png

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @riccccccardo

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I am sorry to hear this has happened when you have tried to cancel BT Sports Large Screen. 

So I can help further, was there a reason why the agent was unable to remove this from your account?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

I am an angry EE customer of EIGHTEEN YEARS and I feel betrayed by EE and treated very poorly I own two very small devices apple and an android all last year 2020 I was casting from my android to my tv via hdmi with no issues for an entire 12 months + no issue. For last two months I’ve been trying to watch football but kept getting error messages for no reason so I contacted bt sports and EE both told me they fix the issue only for me to find out via online forums that EE now charges for what was once free to me! I have no solutions to fix my issue from EE my tv to old cannot download bt app on it and I refuse to pay extra money on top of the £29.99 per month I pay now. I ask EE the bt sport service is no longer FIT FOR PURPOSE for me so delete bt sports from my account and reduce me back to my original offer of £25.00 per month without bt sports which was rejected by them so they happy for me to pay £29.99 for a service that is no longer fit for service for me as I can no longer cast and I refuse to be extorted to pay more money for something last year 2020 was free. I’m fully disgusted at the greed that I am seeing from EE. It’s like Netflix saying to you to now watch colour stream tv you have to pay an extra £4.17p or stick with black and white television stream the choice is yours. Huge stab in the back especially to loyal customers like myself.

5B876013-47D3-4667-96FF-7FE2192A21BC.png

C8147123-74B8-4933-B266-8A15BF555E8B.jpeg

DFD585E5-0A32-417B-86EF-73680A1CEB14.png