cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Can I use an EE-locked phone with any kind of EE SIM card?

Martin042
Explorer

Hi, I'm looking to buy a [relatively new] second hand phone and I have a Pay As You Go EE SIM. Will I be able to use any EE-locked phone (even if it was bought as part of a monthly contract, etc)?

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may use any EE SIM in any EE device.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

When you say it's relatively new you need to watch out for someone selling their EE contract phone when it's less than 6 months old. They aren't allowed to do that & so you may find it blacklisted by EE soon after.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yes, it is less than 6 months old. Does the contract not allow the phone to be sold (in the first 6 months)? Do I need to ask the seller what kind of contract they have an if they're allowed to sell it?

A monthly contract device, which you said in your OP that it was, cannot be sold in its 1st 6 months while it is then still owned by EE. The seller (not you) is bound by the T&C's.

@Martin042 , If someone sells you a phone that is less than 6 months old and on contract, then EE can blacklist it, as payments must be made, and the person selling you the phone, may report that phone as lost or stolen and so it would then be blacklisted. You would then end up with a very expensive and unusable phone. So make all your checks and make sure you are not going to get stuck, do all your checks.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

The possible issues you may come across is, is if the Owner of the Locked Phone the real Owner, do you know the full history of the phone, is it Lost or Stolen, has  Insurance been or about to be paid out on the Phone, or is any existing Phone Contract Plan on the Phone about to go into Payment Defaults or the Early Termination Costs paid etc, bearing in mind most Phone Contracts now are 24 months.

It's not uncommonn for new Phone Contract and Phones to be handed down between Family Members, Mum, Dad, Uncle etc, which shouldn't really cause issues but still can. But if you don't know the full Story I would advise you to reconsider the option or worst still if it's coming from the likes of Facebook Market, eBay, Gumtree etc than just give it a Wide birth and look at other options.

If you buy a locked phone that's less than 6 months into contract your going to be waking up for the next 18 months wondering if the phone is going to be Blacklisted and stop working today.