cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Alexa app not connecting with Philips Hue app on new 4GEE wireless router

WaltzingPablo
Investigator
Investigator

Okay, so here's the thing. A few weeks ago I swapped to a 4GEE Home Router 2. Phenomenal speed, and very happy with it. 

I have a few connected home devices, namely Honeywell Home for heating, and Philips Hue for lighting. I had a bit of trouble connecting the Honeywell home, but after a few attempts it just worked - Don't ask me how.

The Philips Hue however has been more of a pain. The lights work, and I can operate them from my phone. However on the Hue bridge the final blue light continually flashes (The Internet light). This usually means the bridge isn't connected to the internet. Even though this flashes meaning technically I can't use the bridge, as I say I can operate all of the lights in the house. What I can't do though, is continue to ask Alexa to turn the lights on and off. 

I tried everything on the Alexa app - disabled the Hue skill, re-enabled it. This took me to the Philips Hue page and asked me to confirm Alexa as a trusted device, which I did. I then was promptly shown a screen saying Alexa is having trouble connecting to Hue.
Saw this about 5 times, before I took the plunge and reset the Hue bridge. This removed the history so I had to set all the lights up again. Basically like a new Hue setup.

The final blue light still flashes on the hue bridge, and I can't get Alexa to operate the lights. The two apps refuse to talk to each other now I'm using this new router. I'd like to stress that I didn't have this issue when I used my previous EE Smart Hub. The bridge had all lights on solid, and I could ask Alexa to operate the lights and also complete any routines I had saved.

I have made sure and confirmed that everything is running on the 2.4ghz signal and not the 5ghz signal, so the lights and the Echo devices are all on the same network.

Anyone - Help!!!! Has anyone faced something similar? Anyone know how exactly I can get these apps talking to each other again? Anyone know how I can save my sanity on this one remaining little niggling issue I have? Anyone......please!!!! Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @WaltzingPablo,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Do you know if it's the V1 or V2 bridge you are using? The V1 no longer supports Alexa.

If that isn't the issue, it could be due to the EE mobile network using IPv6. I believe some Hue products aren't IPv6 ready. The manufacturer will be able to confirm this if you get in touch.

James

Hi @James_B 

Thanks for the advice.

It is definitely a V2 bridge that is being used, and wasn't an issue with previous routers so your suggestion of the IPv6 could make sense.

I'll contact Philips and see where we go from there.

James_B

No problem @WaltzingPablo

Please let us know how you get on.

James

So the response from Philips goes like this.....

We are sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered with the Hue system; the issue is caused indeed by the 4G router that you use, as this does not allow the setup for the out of home control, so you can connect your system to Alexa.

In this case, we would like to advise you to set up the system with Alexa by connecting the bridge to a router with a regular broadband connection- this will allow you to enable the out of home control and connect to Alexa via the cloud. Once the setup has been done, you can then connect the bridge back to your new router.

Has anyone else had to do this, not specifically for a 4GEE router but maybe for any swap between old and new routers? Seems like an odd thing to have to do, and I can't see how it will work. Aside from that, I don't have a spare router which I can just use so I've no idea how to carry on with this.

Confused of East Midlands!

James_B

Hi @WaltzingPablo,

Thanks for the update. It looks like they are confirming that their bridge requires a fixed line broadband service to use all of its features.

James