cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4GEE contract without existing contract - help/advice

Skyejacked15
Explorer

Hi there,

Due to the pain of getting a new line installed at our new property I was looking to get the 4GEE router as an alternative. Having tried to set this up on line it seems I am unable to do this without any existing devices to pair to my new account. I've also been unable to get someone on the phone today to try to talk through options.

My partner is an exisiting customer and the app won't let him add this on to his account without treating it as an upgrade - costing an additional £200 for the pleasure so that isn't ideal and when he tries to add it as a new customer it tells him that it is out of his price range - not true and a tad rude but here we are.

We are about 150 miles from our nearest store and it will be another month at least before we get over to that city. Needing the internet for work means I need this sorted well before that.

So my question is has anyone else experienced something similar and is there a way around it? Do I have to wait until there are people available on the phone? ('taking time out to appreciate or Team Members' was the recorded message which I am all for but I would have assumed they wouldn't just abandon their CS). I've also tried DM'ing them on Twitter and haven't heard back yet.

Many thanks to anyone who has any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

One alternative is to buy a capable 4G router and get a SIM-only contract from the service provider (you may run into the same problems obtaining this SIM but overall would give yourself greater options in the long-term).

Edit: obtaining your own 4G router also allows you to test the functionality with your current SIMs to ensure there is a location giving good bandwidth. If good performance is not seen, a 4G router purchased online can be returned for a refund without the problem of needing to get out of a contract. I currently use a Cat4 router and would highly recommend that a new purchase should be a higher category router. Cat19 or better http://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-ue-category-class-definitions/ alternatively, nothing worse than a Netgear M2 (Cat20)

Edit2: in particular, if you find a position with RS-SINR better than 10 dBm, you're good to go. https://usatcorp.com/faqs/understanding-lte-signal-strength-values/

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

This is a really sensible alternative. Thank you, I will bare this in mind.