cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 12 battery health

Barneyboy1970
Visitor

Hi

has anyone had issue with iphone 12 battery health, my iphone is 11 months old and the battery health is showing 88% already, i think this is quite bad for the age of the phone

Ive never had an issue with iphones before just wondering if Apple has cheapened there Batteries

2 REPLIES 2
Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

No, they haven't cheapened their batteries - It depends how you charge your phone - when I had my 12 Pro Max, I had 96% after 12 months, only charging at night

Andy_65
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi @Barneyboy1970 

The battery percentage shown is based on the Rated Capacity in mAh of the battery. Batteries also have a MaximumFCC (Full charge capacity), which can be higher than the Rated Capacity. So if you're lucky, you can have a phone with a battery that has a bit more capacity, so it feels like your battery is lasting really well but in reality it just had a bit more capacity than the minimum required. So the Battery Health stays on 100% until that extra capacity disappears as the battery degrades

I have an old iPhone 8 that was used for two years but it still shows a Battery Health of 100%, simply because I was lucky enough to have a battery with a bit more capacity. My iPhone 12 Pro is down to 97% after 10 months. Apple say that a battery should have 80% capacity after 500 charging cycles, with a charging cycle being a charge from 0 to 100% (this can be 2 charges from 50% to full or 10 charges of 90% to full etc).

It is possible to see what the Rated Capacity, Maximum FCC, Nominal Charge Capacity (actual current capacity) and the number of charge cycles of your battery but it's a bit of a faff to be honest.