cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning to eSIM (iPhone 14s)

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I know that in the US, the iPhone 14 models are all going eSim only.  I doubt this is happening in the UK and that we'll still need to swap physical SIMS.  But what I'd like to know is whether the process of moving to an eSIM/replacing an eSIM has improved, because it looks like one has to wait on the post for the eSIM QR code.

Is this still the case, or an eSIMs be ordered/replaced/activated via the EE account itself?

22 REPLIES 22
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mbdrake76  It might quite possible to do it via the Bluetooth method as of iOS 16.     Apple have now allowed the transitioning of eSims via Bluetooth. 

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks @Chris_B - that's a new one on me - will have to take a look when I get the device itself.

marc00s
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I believe you can do everything on device in the my ee app. Under settings and permissions you can request and activate new E sims and you should from there also be able to download the esim instead of waiting around in the post.

While the app has recently been updated to look different, it’s in there I did exactly this when I had to replace my esim last year

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mbdrake76 

You can find details in our How do I use Dual SIM with an eSIM for iPhone? Help page. 

Leanne.

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Well, I managed to muck things up a bit.  Should have removed the physical SIM before attempting to replace it with an eSIM as it prompted for a label for the eSIM as a secondary plan.  Halted the process and was unable to download the eSIM again once I eventually did remove the physical SIM.  The whole process feels extremely messy, to be honest.

I'm back on the physical SIM for now, and will likely be until Apple completely removes the SIM tray from future iPhones sold in the UK.

@mbdrake76   If you have no reason to use the eSim don’t.  eSims are good but only if you really need to use it because you have 2 lines you need to use. 

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yep, I think that's good advice.  Won't use them until Apple rolls out iPhones in the UK without the physical SIM card after which I won't have any choice 😉

marc00s
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The change is easy enough to make and having used it for the last few years since its introduction I’ve found it to be reliable. I’d like to see networks make it the standard.

@mbdrake76   As I said as of iOS 16 you can use Bluetooth to transfer an eSim from one iPhone to another.    

C563AC63-684E-4B7A-B67A-336A7008F9B9.png