cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email not working when on mobile network

joncactus
Explorer

I am a web developer and I run email servers and provide email accounts to my customers. One of them is having a very similar problem on their iPhone and iPad: When either device is connected to the EE mobile network they can not send email. They can still receive fine but not send. The problem is that their phone can not connect to the outgoing SMTP server. I am also an EE customer and can not replicate the problem on my iPhone.

I would also like contact from EE support to help with this, could somebody get in touch please.

18 REPLIES 18
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @joncactus,

Welcome to the EE Community. 

This doesn't sound like a network issue if you're unable to replicate the issue on your EE device. Have you checked they're using the same mail settings as your iPhone?

James

joncactus
Explorer

Hi @James_B 

Yes, I've already checked and the mail settings match perfectly. I would usually agree with your observation that if I can't replicate the issue on my EE device this is not a network issue. However there are other observations that do point to a network issue:

• The problem exists on both their iPhone and iPad only when connected via the EE network. If they connect via wifi there is no problem.
  • Lots of other people in this discussion appear to be having similar problems.

I'm not sure what to think as applying logic to any one observation in isolation produces a simple and clear answer but taking them all together leaves me confused.

I'm wondering about DNS settings such as SPF, DKIM & DMARC and if the EE network won't connect to a mail server unless it has some/all of these in place. However these are usually checked by the receiving mail server.

Jon

James_B

Hi @joncactus,

Thanks for confirming. Has your customer reported the issue to our Technical Support Team?

James

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Having worked for a number of ISPs in my time (and in the abuse departments there too), there are quite a few web hosts that will block SMTP from being sent from mobile and broadband networks or, at least, on port 25. 

It may be possible to get around this if the SMTP server is able to receive mail to be sent via another port number.  Have you tried using TLS on ports 2525, 465, and 587 at all?

Another test would be to try a dedicated SMTP service (such as Sendinblue) outside of the ISP/web host.

Redmike57
Investigator
Investigator

I am having the same problem.  via internet i can send emails but not via network.  i get an error message on SMTP and when i update it says it cant connect to server.

Leanne_T

Hi @Redmike57 

Which email provider do you use? 

Can you send emails when connected to WiFi? 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne, 

My email provider is SiteHQ for my business e-mails. 

When I am connected to the internet they send OK. 

Regards, 

Mike ****

[mod edit: removed personal details from the forum]

Leanne_T

Have they worked previously? @Redmike57 

Have you deleted the account and set this back up again? 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne, 

They worked ok when I first set the phone up earlier this year. To be 
honest I don't send a lot of emails from my phone. 

I have not deleted the account and set it back up. 

Regards, 

Mike ****

[mod edit: removed personal details from the forum]