cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported number but iPhone won’t change

Martynmordecai
Explorer

Hey all. 

I’ve received a text from EE saying my old number has successfully ported over from my old phone. 

I can ring people and it shows the correct number. 

people who ring me on the correct number I can get these calls. 

However my iPhone displays the temporary number and I can’t change this. I have power cycled the phone, turned iMessage and FaceTime off. However I still cannot change the number for my actual number. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Martynmordecai  leave iMessage and FaceTime switched off restart the device a couple of times and check your number within Settings>Phone.   You can not change this number yourself.  If it’s still not correct don’t not enable iMessage or FaceTime until it is correct.   This number is taken from your sim and only once a number port is fully completed will this number show correct.  

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Martynmordecai  leave iMessage and FaceTime switched off restart the device a couple of times and check your number within Settings>Phone.   You can not change this number yourself.  If it’s still not correct don’t not enable iMessage or FaceTime until it is correct.   This number is taken from your sim and only once a number port is fully completed will this number show correct.  

The correct procedure for iPhone 

SETTINGS

SEND&RECEIVE

CHANGE YOUR NUMBER

@Kykkoray76  it has nothing to do with send and receive with iMessage.  The device takes the information from the sim and the problem is setting up iMessage with the number on the sim before a number is ported across from a different network and iMessage latches on to the original number on the SIM card and to change this you turn off iMessage and FaceTime restart the device check your number and then set up iMessage and FaceTime again.  

You also cannot change the number within iMessage settings to a different number as it’s taken the number from the SIM card. 

This morning at around 08:30 the porting started and I could receive calls on my ported number and if I called another phone the correct calling I’d was passed - but the number shown in my iPhone settings was still the temporary number.  Repeated restarting of the iPhone or attempts to manually change the temporary number didn’t work.  Then at approximately 09:45 it changed itself.  I can only assume porting is an 1 hour plus activity and patience is it’s own reward.

Thank you!   This worked for me - yay!   I’d tried everything else and 150 never answered - which doesn’t bode well for future problems.  Thanks again 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Pat110

Thanks for letting us know this worked for you. 

Come back to the community anytime. 

Leanne 🙂

Thanks thanks thanks! This worked for me too!  I had exactly the same problem yesterday, porting my number, and virtual chat advice was useless. After I’d switched off FaceTime and iMessage and twice restarted the phone, my iPhone was still showing my temporary number in Settings, not my ported in number. However I left FaceTime and iMessage switched off, then checked in Settings 2 hours later, and sure enough the ported in number had appeared. 

I have tried the first option, but it hasn’t worked. I am on the second option now. How long do you think it will take before the number on the temporary sim changes to the number I need? This issue of mine started today at about 14:00. Thanks.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @adey_jason,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

What issues are you experiencing with your number transfer?

Is it just iMessage and Facetime that haven't updated?

James