Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot issue: “WiFi password not valid”

Tiburonsmoke
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. 

A few months ago, my Tuomei C800s (Android) projector suddenly stopped connecting to my IPhone XR wifi hotspot. It happened when I updated to iOs 15. Since then, I’ve tried changing my phone to an iPhone 11 on iOS 16, with no luck. I’ve also tried an iPhone 7. I just get, “WiFi password not valid” even though I type it correctly. 

The projector works fine on EE broadband. Other devices—android phones, laptops, chromebooks, etc—can use my iPhone EE hotspot. I just can’t get the projector to connect to the phone. 

Tuomei blames EE. EE blame Tuomei but think it might be the SIM. Apple blame anybody but themselves. Does anybody have an answer, please? This has driven me nuts for over six months. Thank you. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tiburonsmoke
Investigator
Investigator

SOLUTION FOUND:

After a whole year of being unable to use my projector, a scheduled update to my iOS fixed the problem. I found a new option in the Personal Hotspot menu: “Maximise Compatibility”. Switching this ON allowed my projector to connect again. Apparently, the setting toggles between WiFi frequencies. 

Angry doesn’t begin to describe my feelings. 

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. I hope this answer helps others. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Tiburonsmoke.

Did our tech team raise an investigation ticket for this?

It sounds like it's either something our tech team will need to look at, or Apple have caused since an update.

Does it connect to an iPhone with another network SIM in it?

Jon

Thank you, Jon. EE said that I should take it to an EE retail store and try getting a new SIM for it. I was working away so I couldn’t manage to do it. I don’t think I have a ticket. 

Thank you for this next step. I will definitely ask a friend or neighbour to try on their phone and report back to you.

To date, I’ve tested it with my own EE SIM in an iPhone 8, iPhone 10 and iPhone 11 without success.  The Chinese company Tuomei tell me they tried an identical model of projector with an iPhone 10 hotspot on a Chinese network and it worked fine for them. 

Teresa

bristolian
Legend
Legend

WiFi is just a wireless connection between a mobile device and wireless router, it's not something EE's mobile network would have any connection with.

The SIM's purpose is to enable authentication to the mobile network, so that's unlikely but not impossible.

An iOS SW issue or a wireless handsaking issue are the most likely causes.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks @Tiburonsmoke.

That's great advice from @bristolian too.

If it doesn't work with another iPhone on another network, it would suggest an iOS issue.

If possible try to make sure the other iPhone is on the same software version as yours.

Jon

Tiburonsmoke
Investigator
Investigator

SOLUTION FOUND:

After a whole year of being unable to use my projector, a scheduled update to my iOS fixed the problem. I found a new option in the Personal Hotspot menu: “Maximise Compatibility”. Switching this ON allowed my projector to connect again. Apparently, the setting toggles between WiFi frequencies. 

Angry doesn’t begin to describe my feelings. 

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. I hope this answer helps others.