cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Apple watch plan fiasco been sorted yet?

XJEZEDGEX
Investigator
Investigator

So when i intially signed up with EE it was to have a contract that i could add an Apple watch plan onto. (Both my Iphone and Apple watch were purchased outright and not through EE) When i got the contract i asked for a watch plan to be added, which it was...then the nightmare started. There seemed to be no way to pair the watch with the phone as I'd been sold a family member watch plan despite being told that i was receiving a personal plan. After weeks of back and forth, the transcript of my initial conversation with the operator was looked and, and it was discovered that he did indeed, lie about what he was selling me. I was given a full refund and a grovelling apology, but i was also told that EE could not give me personal watch plan as i didn't get the watch from them! and that i could only get a family member plan! (which made no sense at all) I asked  if it made good business sense to turn down a monthly watch plan subscription, and asked why on earth they didn't have a personal plan available. The operator agreed it made no sense and she had no idea why there was no way for me to just purchase a personal cellular plan for my watch.

So my question is..has this ever been sorted out? or are EE still not able to provide a personal cellular watch plan to an existing customer that just happens to have bought their watch outright from Apple?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@XJEZEDGEX  you set the watch plan up via the watch app on your iPhone. You don’t need to call customer services to do this.  It’ll cost of £7 per month on a rolling 30 day contract and you will get 10Gb of data just for the watch.     EE have been providing this since the first cellular Apple Watch

( that was the series 3 that was released in 2017 ) 

Your problem was calling customer services as they don’t deal/sell with the Sim only watch plan as you set everything up via the watch app so most of them dont even know about this. 

You also have to be a contract customer with your phone that includes sim only.  You can not have a Watch tariff if you’re a PAYG customer. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@XJEZEDGEX  you set the watch plan up via the watch app on your iPhone. You don’t need to call customer services to do this.  It’ll cost of £7 per month on a rolling 30 day contract and you will get 10Gb of data just for the watch.     EE have been providing this since the first cellular Apple Watch

( that was the series 3 that was released in 2017 ) 

Your problem was calling customer services as they don’t deal/sell with the Sim only watch plan as you set everything up via the watch app so most of them dont even know about this. 

You also have to be a contract customer with your phone that includes sim only.  You can not have a Watch tariff if you’re a PAYG customer. 

XJEZEDGEX
Investigator
Investigator

Nope. That's not how it works. If you try and add a personal watch plan you just get an error message saying you can only add a family plan.That's why i contacted customer services in the first place. And like i said, two EE representatives seemd to have no idea why i could not add a personal watch plan to my contract. and yes I'm a contract customer. it seems EE STILL cannot offer a personal watch plan to contract customers.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @XJEZEDGEX,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you factory reset the watch since the family plan was removed from your account?

James

XJEZEDGEX
Investigator
Investigator

Yep, done everything i was intructed to do...four times with different ee representatives walking me through the same steps over and over. Also, settings are not the problem. the problem is that i was told ee cannot offer a personal watch plan.

James_B

Hi @XJEZEDGEX,

I haven't seen an example of this issue before. I'm wondering if it could be caused by your watch still being associated with the family plan, if it was only cancelled recently.

Our Technical Support Team are best placed to help you with this as they can access your account and raise a ticket to our support teams if necessary.

James

There are other threads about this going back at least 2 years. The family plan was removed months ago, but it seems nothing has changed and I've been back and forth with technical support numerous times. Every time i get told "someone will call you back" no one ever does.

James_B

Where did you purchase the Watch @XJEZEDGEX?

Is it pre-owned?

James

bruciew
Investigator
Investigator

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a family watch plan and a personal one? I have to say there is precious little info on watch plans on the EE site and given how much data I have on my phone plan I do object to paying for more for my watch to have it. I thought the whole point of having a sim enabled watch was for it to seamlessly mirror my iPhone.

So the difference is that a personal watch plan would link to your personal iphone. A family member plan links the watch to a family members phone. In other words unless you don't want to use the watch yourself,the plan EE offers is useless. I think they do a personal watch plan only if you get the watch from them. But I'm not even 100% sure of that. For some reason they won't supply a personal esim  to customers who already own an apple  watch. Makes no sense at all.