cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch sim only at end of contract - only option online is to upgrade?

finglonger
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I've had my cellular Apple Watch on the standard 12-month contract that's £7.88 a month for 10Gb of data. I've just been sent a letter saying my plan has ended as my year is up, and it gives me 3 options: do nothing and stay as I am, upgrade to pay £28 a month for a new watch with a 2-year contract, or switch to a new contract with 10Gb data at £5 a month for 12 months.

I'd like to take up the final option as my current watch works fine and the battery is still good, and obviously why would I opt to pay £7.88 a month when I can pay £5! However, I can't find a way to just choose this option online anywhere at all, either on the EE website, via the EE app or even via the mobile data options in the Watch app on my iPhone. All I am offered anywhere is the option to upgrade to a new watch - as far as I can see there's nothing about SIM-only watch contracts at any price in any location, either in the general online shop or in the my account area.

My question is, is switching to this new £5 a month contract something I can only get by phoning 150?

I'm wary of doing this, because last time I had to deal with customer services in relation to Apple Watch data I got someone who misunderstood what I was trying to do (switch my existing watch contract to a new watch), and ended up having to go through weeks of emails, calls to customer support and Watch/Phone resets because they signed me up for a new contract rather than swapping me over. It got sorted eventually, but only after being escalated because the usual customer support team just didn't know how to sort it.

While I get EE would prefer I pay them £28 a month rather than a fiver, I think it's bizarre to send me a letter offering me something and then not have a simple way for me to say I'd like it!

3 REPLIES 3
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @finglonger

Welcome to the community.

These plans are offered in the 'Watch' app when setting up your plan originally. I would err on the side of caution and not fiddle with the plan. I would speak to our upgrades team. If you explain it the way you have now, I'm sure they'll be able to set it up for you.

Chris

I have had the same email saying I can choose sim only since my contract is up, but nowhere on the site allows you to do this. Even on the plan page it offers sim only, but when you click through the standard upgrade it only offers watches no sim only contract??

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Bella74 

Please give us a call on 150 and the team will be happy to help you get the Apple Watch plan changed. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.