cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch data plan issues

angwyn
Visitor

Every time I change my iPhone or have to unpair and repair my Apple Watch for whatever reason, I always have to spend hours on the phone to EE (usually multiple phone calls and scheduled callbacks with other teams) as there is an issue with the Apple Watch eSim or a problem with EE's systems and the process for getting the data plan configured so the Apple Watch accepts it and the data plan can be used.

This is wholly unacceptable. Today will be, I think, the third time I have gone through the tedious process of speaking to EE's technical support team about Apple Watch data plan issues. I am expecting a scheduled call at 5pm from EE after spending an hour on the phone yesterday. 

The process goes something like this:

1. The Apple Watch data plan (which is active) cannot be added to the Apple Watch, despite it being the same Apple Watch (and obviously retaining the same EID number).
  2. Step 1 fails and I am prompted to call EE on 150 and relay a 3-digit code.
  3. I call EE, explain the issue and relay the 3-digit code. 
  4. The Level 1 technical support team cannot resolve the issue (in the past there was mention about duplicate Apple Watch profiles on EE's systems – whatever that means).
  5. I get passed to Level 2 technical support who try various things but usually replace the eSim in the end. I am told this takes 24 hours to active. They schedule a callback with me, meaning I have to set aside further time to take that call. 
  6. The issue still persists but eventually something is done that fixes it. I am not told the root of the problem so when this cycles starts again I am not able to truncate it and get straight to the solution.

Previously, I ended up with 2 Apple Watch data plans and had to request the duplicate plan be cancelled and had to wait for a refund of unnecessary monies paid. 

It has been like this, to my knowledge for at least 3 years. It is unacceptable that any paying customer has to go through the cycle I outlined above once, let alone three times. If it is a case that there are issues with Apple Watch eSim provisioning, and/or EE's processes need to be aligned with Apple's, that is frankly a matter for EE and not my concern. 

If EE intends to hold itself out as the UK's best network for Apple devices, then it needs to live up to that. I'll be changing to the iPhone 14 when it is released in September but cannot face going through this for the fourth time, so will likely move away from EE.

P.S. I would be grateful if EE staff on this forum would not suggest I contact support, as I have already done so multiple times over the course of the last few years. Time would be better spent flagging this issue higher up, which, upon cursory glance of the forum is not isolated to my account.

2 REPLIES 2
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @angwyn ,

Welcome to the community,

When you have unpaired your watch, have you made sure that both the phone and watch are on cellular and switched off wifi? This should enable you to add the watch with data, it should give you the opportunity to add the data you already have, rather than another data.

If there is an EE store near you, maybe you could go there to get this sorted otherwise.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@angwyn  while you seem to think it’s been like this for the last three years it’s actually you who has been having this issue because not every customer does have an issue when doing this.    So with saying that are you doing everything correctly when you do this because at a guess I’ll say your not.    Other question is why are you trying to activate an apple watch tariff to a watch that the tariff is already applied to ?  What are you doing that is actually meaning you are having to redo this ?