cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 years with EE looking to leave

dwadetheceo
Investigator
Investigator

I have been paid £215 on average for 3 lines. 

Signed up with a plan that give unlimited data and minutes and I can change my Iphone yearly 

Been doing this Iphone Pro max swaps for 4 years. 

Exciting and been paying my invoice on time. 

To be told oh you maybe can get a phone yearly with your trade in. 

Every year my iPhone 11-12-13 was more expensive but my phone was mint condition never an issue until last year due to covid but customer service sorted it. Here I am again. Trade in my 1569£ Iphone 13 pro max 1 TB FOR A IPHONE 14 pro max 1Tb and ee pulling tricks and bad customer service. 

Please honor and let me have the new Iphone. 

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@dwadetheceo  You’ve not said why your not being allowed to. 

They want 400£ upfront and it should like for like.  I have a 1 TB NOW. 

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The upfront fee applies to both new customers and us existing customers - it's something that EE charges and there isn't anything you can do about it as it's effectively a deposit.  I'd imagine that the alternative would be a much larger monthly charge due to how much more expensive the iPhone 14 Pro Max 1Tb costs this year against the iPhone 13 Pro Max 1Tb from last year.  EE has to be sure to get its money back quickly over the year.  This likely to be the way from now.  This will be the price we must pay to have a new Apple handset every year if Apple prices keep being pushed up.

You can still upgrade your handset with the Anytime Upgrade, but if don't want to pay the £330 you'd have to choose another handset from another manufacturer (e.g. Samsung or Google) with a lower or no upfront cost.  If you choose not to upgrade and want to leave EE, you'll have to either buy yourself out of the remaining contract so you can go elsewhere or remain with your existing iPhone and EE line until the 2 year full contract has ended.

In terms of being helpful. EE have been lenient with most people who are within a hair's breadth of upgrading on the Anytime Upgrade plan for free (e.g. those that would have had to pay £100 or £300 before their annual commitment ends).  EE has generally waived those upgrade fees (when asked).  But it is extremely unlikely they are going to waive the upfront cost of the new handset for you.

soupladel
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I am sorry but the upfront fees for the 1Tb 14 pro max is an absolutely travesty of a charge, the same phone on a comparable tariff at any number of EEs  competitors can be had for as little as £49 upfront on a 24 month contract and similar monthly charge.

I spent 35 mins waiting on getting through to upgrades today and the guy i spoke to couldnt be more apologetic about the bonkers upfront costs.  He said they had fed this up the chain because its a common complaint but so far they havent done anything about it.

At this point, i have to assume its highly unlikely they will change their pricing strategy given there is likely a number of people who have opted to pay the upfront costs anyway

mbdrake76
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I'm not saying I was keen to pay the upfront cost, but alas, it is what it is.  I have another account with O2 and they give you a far greater amount of flexibility as to what you pay on the upfront cost and the subsequent monthly charge, but so do other telco providers.  EE is extremely rigid in that regard.  But for me, EE's network is significantly superior to that of O2 - I only keep O2 around as a work line and *if* there is a broadband outage, a general EE network outage, or I need to test something on a different network.  I find EE's support much better than O2's as well.  But O2 has a much better web site and ordering/tracking system.  Horses for courses :\. Maybe EE will get there one day.

We'll see what happens next year.  Perhaps our economy won't be as rubbish as it is now, and that Apple doesn't raise its prices outside of the US again.

@soupladel wrote:

I am sorry but the upfront fees for the 1Tb 14 pro max is an absolutely travesty of a charge,

The device costs around £1800 SIM-free, your complaint could be directed at Apple as much as any network operator.

soupladel
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sorry but that doesn't really track.

the cost of the phone is £1,749, over a 24 month contract that's £72.88 a month just for the device.

Sim only contract with EE for unlimited everything and no speed limits is £31 comes to a total of £103.88 with nothing upfront is you were to buy the phone from apple.

The same upgrade offer i am getting for EE is £106 a month with £330 upfront.

Now i know what you are saying about direct this at Apple for the prices they charge for the phone, which is in part true, but why then are no other networks charging the same amount upfront?

The total cost of the EE contract over 24 months is £2,874

Vodafone is Charging £49 upfront at £106.50 per month £2605 total for 24 months. Alternatively you could increase the upfront to £329 to approximate EE and pay £94.83 a month for the same total cost.

O2 is £30 upfront at £107.62 per month for a total cost of £2612.88

Three are £90 Upfront and £104 per month for a total of £2,586

Sky are probably second worst to EE £48 upfront, £105 a month for a total of £2,568 but that is an existing customer offer and only includes 24Gb of data.

So its really quite easy to see that EE have no real justification for charging what they are other than they can choose to charge what they want and as customers, our only recourse is choose to go elsewhere when not contracted which i am likely to do now

AAlexandergay17
Visitor

I have the same problem but it's to do with the Ee SIM provider it's self and the lies that they have put on their advertising it ridiculous and dishonesty, so I have just bought a different SIM provider and going to get them to change it and I'm not willing to be with Ee anymore as a phone provider and a We customer.

AAlexandergay17 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AAlexandergay17

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Is there anything we can help you with on the community? 

Leanne.