cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp

SStokoe4
Visitor

Hello

I need help with technical support please ?

I know I had my WhatsApp messages backed up and I've managed to get rid of them when I cleared data through settings. Can you please help ? I did this about a week again.

Could someone have a look into it please?

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @SStokoe4 

What are you trying to achieve? If you're trying to reinstate your backup of WhatsApp messages this can be done via the WhatsApp app under settings - chats . 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I always thought WhatsApp holds all your convos & you just login to it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX wrote:

I always thought WhatsApp holds all your convos & you just login to it.

Unfortunately not - you need to have a local or network backup of your chat history.

That can be via Google Drive or a micro-SD card.

If the OP needs any help with this though, they will need to contact WhatsApp directly via https://faq.whatsapp.com/407643231403807/?cms_platform=android - there's nothing EE can do as a network operator to assist.

@bristolian : I still don't get it!

1. Everyone in your group will have the same chat history. You're saying they all need to back it up (I don't!)?
  2. Anyway I can't see how you can get rid of a chat. I know you can delete individual msgs but even then they are still present marked as "Deleted".

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I can only speak from experience of recently trying to restore an un-backed-up WA onto a new phone - and unless you have a backup on either network or local storage, there's nothing to restore.

Even in chat groups, each individual phone/user will have their own local message store. As for the user managing to clear chats via their phone settings, all I can think of is the WA-data storage being inadvertently cleared. But I'm not about to test that theory...

@bristolian :

1. OK, I can see you can delete a whole chat. That must be like quitting the group.
  2. You surely don't need a local or network backup of your chat history, like via Google Drive or a micro-SD card. WhatsApp itself provide Archive & restore of its chats, presumably to its servers.
  3. I recently added WhatsApp to a PC & all my un-backed-up WA chats from my phone just appeared on my PC. I see no trace of what could be WhatsApp chat data on my PC.
  4. So it's not at all obvious where all these chats are stored. To be on each individual device would be highly inefficient. I would have thought WhatsApp is a glorified Internet Bulletin Board, much like this Community.