Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock assistance please

PeterNFN
Investigator
Investigator

Good morning,

Getting very stressed and frustrated here.

Currently with BT mobile and purchased a used (but as new) phone locked to the EE network. I know that my BT mobile sim will work in it but really, really want this phone to be unlocked so that in the event I want to change to another network I can easily make the switch easily. The phone came with the original box and the IMEI code on the box, phone and in the phone software all match so all looks good there.

I filled in the online form on the 6th May and was notified on the 7th that the code will need to be requested from the manufacturer (Motorola).

On the 9th May I received an eight digit code with instructions on how  to unlock. I followed the instructions but the code wasn't accepted and the message still reading "Enter SIM ME lock [NP]"  (followed by a number and the word 'remains').

I went back to EE having spoken with 'Luke' from the customer service team.

On the 10th May I received another email giving exactly the same unlock code and went back saying already tried this number a few times and included a screenshot of the inside of the phone confirming the IMEI code. Received a response saying that the team would go back to the manufacturer.

On the 11th May I received yet another email giving exactly the same (I presume) incorrect IMEI code so I replied saying unwilling to try this code again as limited number of attempts and having tried the code 6 or 7 times with no joy can safely assume something incorrect (either the code supplied by EE/Motorola or the procedure to unlock the phone). I don't thing the procedure is incorrect as I have successfully unlocked a couple of Android phones before so quite 'au fait' with the procedure.

I cannot believe that I've mistyped the eight digit code 6 or 7 times (I used to work in finance and computer system teams and my accuracy was always extremely high).

This morning called my local EE store (Norwich) and chatting to man who took my call he seemed to think the unlock code is entered  in three parts. The unlock code is supplied by EE as 16 digits, to unlock phone you have to do as follows:- enter the last eight digits - then enter the first eight digits - then enter the whole 16 digits, so I'm more confused as EE has only ever supplied eight digit code to me whereas the man in the EE store saying 16 digits entered in three steps!

Extremely disappointed as the phone was a special present but really struggling to get the damn thing unlocked.

Hope that people can assist or point me in the right directing.

Thank you 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterNFN
Investigator
Investigator

Posting this in case it's of any use to another user having similar issue unlocking their Motorola mobile,

Had a phone call from Malcolm from EE who informed me that the code should have been full 16 digit code to network unlock.

The 16 digit code has been requested so keeping fingers crossed that he's correct and that entering 16 digit code will unlock the phone so that I can use on other networks when I want (or need) to.

Will post update in due course.....

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@PeterNFN  The code should be 16 digits.    The part about entering the the last 8 then the first 8 is to unfreeze a device because the unlock code has been entered wrong to many times this is called a MCK code and it’s made up from the device unlock code.  

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @PeterNFN

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I've sent you a private message on the community, if you can take a look and get back to me when you can. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Hello Leanna,

I cannot see your private message  (just one private message from DanielPA)

Regards

Peter

Leanne_T

Hi @PeterNFN

I have sent this again now, could you check for me please? 

Leanne 🙂

Thanks Chris,

That's what I thought (16 digits when device frozen following too many attempts to unlock).

I'm still thinking that the standard unlock code is eight digits long?

Regards

Peter

Thanks Leanne,

I've just sent the information back to you via private message.

Regards

Peter

PeterNFN
Investigator
Investigator

Posting this in case it's of any use to another user having similar issue unlocking their Motorola mobile,

Had a phone call from Malcolm from EE who informed me that the code should have been full 16 digit code to network unlock.

The 16 digit code has been requested so keeping fingers crossed that he's correct and that entering 16 digit code will unlock the phone so that I can use on other networks when I want (or need) to.

Will post update in due course.....

Well, received a sixteen digit code this morning via email and despite it being Friday 13th decided to insert an o2 sim card and start the phone which prompted me to enter the unlock code.

Good news in that it accepted the code on my first attempt and my phone previously locked to the EE network is now unlocked! 🙂 

It is a shame that this was not realised earlier by the unlock team who sent me an eight digit unlock code three times. 

So.... any other people with their phones (mine is a Moto E6 plus) bear in mind that the network unlock code might not necessarily be eight digits long - it 'could' be sixteen digits in length as was in my case.

Thanks to all the EE employees and EE forum users who assisted me with this.

Katie_B

That's great to hear @PeterNFN

Have a wonderful weekend, 

Katie 🙂