Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV trial not working

Badger1025
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Like many others I'm really struggling to activate the 6 month free Apple TV subscription.  I have the add on live on my account, however the link  I was sent via 150 does not work, just goes straight to apple tv home page with the offer of a free 7 day trial. I've had two lengthy calls with EE now, one suggesting I openened the link over mobile data (doesn't work) and another where I was just fobbed off and never heard back. Not sure why something so seemingly simple is proving complicated with zero support on offer from EE. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this? 

Thanks!

27 REPLIES 27
Badger1025
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, finally got a solution for this (thanks to Michele ***** in tech support team!). Issue for me (on a Samsung s21) is that my sim card was attached to a different number than the one I actually use - this only became apparent looking at 'about phone' in settings. To change this to my actual number I had to look up myself in contacts, add my actual number and then set this as default. Then when clicking on the apple link it Sent me to the 6 month EE apple tv trial page instead of the standard apple home page. Hope that might work for other people with the same issue

[mod edit: employee details removed from the public forum]

LWRFC1
Explorer

Nope that didn't work for me, this is really odd. I have transferred to EE from BT and much as the speeds and price are great attempting to use the add ons, trying to do things in the awful app etc are making this a complete pain.

ClosetotheEdge
Visitor

Well seeing all this I now feel slightly less a technophobe. I too have been trying to 'Activate' Apple TV+ 6 month Trial as part of my latest package and have received two emails prompting me to Activate only to get hung up on the Apple sign-in each time and every time even though I've ended up setting up an Account with Apple! I've even spoken to one of Apples senior Bods who was very helpful as I was concerned I'd got myself signed up to pay goodness knows what?   Clearly this 'Offer' is not working or we are not being given the right information in the first place?  I mean shouldn't we get an activation code or something? As it is, we just get stuck at Apples doorway each time we try to activate! 

I've just called EE again this morning after my latest 'failed' email activation prompt and spoke to a very pleasant and helpful lady but she needed to speak to someone on the technical side which meant she was waiting in a queue but whilst I waited, I got cut off!  So I'm a bit fed up and left wondering if it's all worth it?  

Gordy67
Investigator
Investigator

Same problem here.

In my case it's because the phone number showing under settings is the temporary number assigned when I ported my number over years ago.

Apple are querying the phone"s baseband system and getting that number. Unlike on Apple phones there is no way to overwrite this on the SIM card.

I suspect this is the cause of many of these issues. Some people suggest resetting the network settings. I couldn't see how that would make any difference, so I tried it and it didn't.

The only way to fix this is a new SIM card hard coded with the correct number.

Other theoretical solutions are rooting the phone and using debugging software to send commands to the baseband system, or putting the card in a very old phone that allows SIM card editing. Neither of these is a realistic option for normal people with lives.

I'm using a Pixel 7 Pro on Android 14.

hobbitbrain
Contributor
Contributor

I also have been unable to get the trial to work. The link took me to a standard Apple TV sign-in/sign up page and in trying to take advantage of the offer I just managed to sign-up again as a normal subscriber at £8.99 per month. I contacted EE and was told that I need to have the Apple TV app installed on my phone for it to work. This isn’t possible for me as I am using a Google Pixel 6a and the Apple TV app is not available. Something suggested to me by EE is that the link might work if I use it on a device that has the Apple TV app. I  might try doing this in a few weeks when I am no longer an Apple TV subscriber. I don’t think it will work though because my Apple device with the app is an IPad and it doesn’t have an EE sim.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @hobbitbrain 

Could you check your number in the device settings, does this show the correct number? 

Also, do you have the Apple TV+ add on showing in your EE app? 

Leanne.

If you were signing up normally you would do it on the website, not through the app, so you should not need the app.

The link sent by EE takes me tot he correct sign up page but then reverts to the free trial/pay option because the link is coded to my EE number, not the number the SIM card reports.  Its a security check failure because the numbers don't match.

Check your phone number under settings and see what it says.

I have looked in the phone settings and can confirm that my phone number is correct. In the EE app, Apple TV+ is shown as an active add-on even though I am actually paying Apple.

hobbitbrain
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked my phone settings and it has the correct number. The link that I was sent unfortunately took me straight to the free trial/pay option.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @hobbitbrain,

Did you have an existing subscription with Apple? If you did, you'll need to cancel in before activating your free trial.

James