cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam text message re bill

Wellsie
Investigator
Investigator

Just had a text saying unable to process my bill I’m assuming it’s a scam  As bill already been taken!!! Not clicking on that link 

288 REPLIES 288

@Robiwankenobi : This has been happening for ages to users of all networks. Are they to send you an email everytime one arrives at 1 of their users unbeknownst to the provider?

This is a wordwide common problem. You are warned of phishing scams by all the leading security organisations including your AV supplier & Which?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
  • Maybe we don't need to be warned about every phishing attempt. But this is the first time I have come across a scam message that seemed so legit at the time. I'm fairly Web wise and I very nearly fell for it. EE were well aware of the scam long before I got my message, so yes maybe when one is this good would it hurt to message customers to be on their guard? Not everyone is as good as you at spotting these criminals. 

Thanks, @Robiwankenobi 🙂 !

I only see these scams here. I've never received 1 myself but I do read about them.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi,  i have never been sent scam texts before but i recieved one of these sms on wednesday the 22 january,  as i have been unwell and lacking in sleep i thought it was a genuine ee glitch as i am pay as you go and i clicked the link with out thinking.  Page looked very genuine and i did try to log in,  when it wanted bank details the penny dropped. I closed the page and went to the real ee page and changed my password immediately. But now i am having trouble logging in(but that does happen at certain times of night anyway). 

Being new to the forum here i can see people are aware of this scam but i have more infomation about where i believe the scammer obtained my number.  And there has been some serious failing by google here.  I have recently have been playing a game called american dad apocalypse soon.  Now this game can link to your facebook account to send gifts in game to clan member on you facebook friends list.  It can also link it to your google account to secure your progress.  A few weeks back a clan member had his facebook hacked and those of us on his friends list got sent a scam message.  The rest of us avoided it.  But around the same time another clan member who also has an android phone and the game linked to facebook and google had his bank contact him as 2 atttempts of fraud where made on his bank.  He was very lucky.  But none of us made the connection to the game.  I had suspisions but its on hoogle play store so dismissed them.   But on the 22nd january i had backed my game up to my google account and then got this scam text as have many here.  Its clear to me now that the company reponsible for the game is not protecting data and my number was pulled from my google account as probably was my clan mates bank details.  

So i went into playstore to check the developers address and contact details.  It has a postal addres for Amsterdam, what worries me is that when i went to thier website and had a look about, most of the locations they hold offices  are actually in Russia.  So my warning to all is even google is not safe these days.  Were do i forward the text to for investigation?  As i see other have said the number given does not work? 

@JaK84 wrote:

So i went into playstore to check the developers address and contact details.  It has a postal addres for Amsterdam

Interesting! Many of these fake domains are registered with a domain host in the Netherlands:

Registrar Hosting Concepts B.V. d/b/a Openprovider
Registrant State/Province: Zuid-Holland
Registrant Country: NL

altho' the site they use it on is in Kuala Lumpur.

Report the text to EE by forwarding it to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hope you're feeling better @JaK84

Thanks for coming here and letting us know.

If you can forward the message to 7726, we can get this looked into.

Can you log into your My EE account this morning after changing your password?

If you use the same login details anywhere else, I would suggest changing these as well.

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi,  yes i can log in ee are just perfoming maintanence on my ee page.  I did forward the text and the number that sent it. And it worked. 

Thing is i am certain the attempt has been made from within the company that makes the game i spoke of,  i had got into a few battle with thier support tems over them rigging the game with slight changes and so ridiculous ones.  They kept denying but in the end conceeded and then started doing some really spiteful things. And stopped trying to hide what they where doing.  I now have to go throught the process of contacting google and explaining to them wjats been going on and repremand them for in accurate info on the playstore and not protecting there customers from such thing. They vet apps on the playstore,  so even if its a hacker that has hacked the game and not from with in the company that makes the game, then google have seriously let people down.   But it has been obvious for a while google is having massive security issues most google apps are needing to be updated on a daily basis,   sometimes twice.  Another concern with that is everytime they put updates for thier apps facebook then immediately push out updates for thiers. My ultimate concern for me is i bought a htc u12 life a year ago with promises of update to android 9 and the device has better hardware than some phones that will get android 10. Htc pulled from the uk market and i have not had any updates since last year and the os i have still has bugs.  So if any one can advise what i can do either update my operating system or communicate with htc that would be a great help 

P. S.  I use a different oassword for everything i do,  never understood why others do not 😂 

James_B

Hi @JaK84,

I'm happy to hear you haven't used the password elsewhere.

You can contact HTC support at https://www.htc.com/uk/support/contactus/

Hope this helps.

James

Thank you but they are not responding and they have actually stated on the facebook messanger account they are not interacting via that either.  Thing is i have had htc since the start of android and smart phones.  Thats 11years of loyal customer.  I wish google would step in and uodate for htc users,  seeomg as they now have taken on the employers that eould usually do that work. 

James_B

Hi @JaK84,

The live chat option at https://www.htc.com/uk/support/contactus/ seems to be working at the moment.

Thanks

James