cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45% Discount - SCAM

BlueSkyBri
Visitor
Why would a "traditional barbershop" be ringing me to offer a 45% discount on my mobile phone bill?

I just had a call from a Southend-on-Sea phone number (01702 528567) where the caller with a "foreign accent" was offering me a 45% discount on my mobile phone bill. SCAM!!!

Turns out the real owner of the number has nothing to do with my mobile provider and is infact a legitimate business "traditional barber" in Southend-On-Sea!

Turns out the owner of the number, who I have called knew nothing about this and is looking into it!
19 REPLIES 19
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BlueSkyBri,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you have received a scam call.

It sounds like the caller was using a 'spoofed' caller ID.

You can find out more in Call spoofing - The EE Community.

Hope this helps.

James

MisterMista
Explorer

I had similar call (foreign accent from an 0208 number,where the individual asked me for the amount on my last bill.

They then asked me to confirm my email address.
I said that they need to send me an email, so that I can confirm they are actually representing EE.
This was met with "due to company policy, we cannot do this yada, yada'".
I was then given a 11 digit number to text to prove that the caller was from EE.
This made no sense and I ended the call.

I googled :"EE 45% discount" which lead me here.

Clearly a scam!

Katie_B

Hello @MisterMista

Thanks for letting us know you have received a call like this. 

You have done the right thing by trusting your instincts and asking for proof of caller. 

If you ever want to have something like this checked please do not hesitate to give our customer care team a call. 

Katie

I just had a similar call from 01432356321

I told the caller I think this is a scam and asked if I can phone them back.

The number he gave me was 01227390534 and said his name was Mike.

I didn’t try the number but thought to report it.

I received a very similar call today from 01208 247414. Asking me if I wanted to save 45% on my bill. Asked me for my email address etc, I told the gentleman that I thought he was a scammer and he gave me a number to call and then hung up. 

James_B

Thanks for letting us know @HMR1778 and @M155SOH 

James

I missed a call from this same number today - 01208 247414

Googled the number as I didn’t have time to answer and came across your comment! I don’t know anyone in Bodmin so found it odd 🤔

Christopher_G

Hi @Lrobbo89 

Thanks for letting us know. Did you report the number by texting it to 7726?

Chris

JMilton
Visitor

I told them my name was Adolf Hitler email adolf.hitler@hotmail.com and I didn't need international calling as my friends Himler and Goebbels live in Argentina but I lost touch with them. They genuinly fell for it hook line and sinker. Switched between floor supervisor, scammer #1 to call centre manager scammer #2 finally to financial manager scammer #3 and none of them had a slight inkling who Adolf H was. They even said they were from Manchester. I asked which offices in Manchester? As I have Google Street view open. Is it the large blue tower block or the small green one? Replied "oh, it's the large blue one" Manchester in Bangalore!? His name apparantly was Keith Rogers 🙄 I told him, when asked my providing providings is talk-s*%t, he even believed that 😂 It all went straight over their heads, so concentrated on getting some bonk details from me #amatures EE 45% off scam. Kept them on the phone for 47 minutes until one of them heard my partner laughing in the background. These people far prefer you to hang up straight away so they can move straight on to their next victim. I keep them on the line as long as possible to save some other poor souls from their calls. Utter, utter scumbags. He gave me a UK number 44 01227390534 and said I can ring it to prove that they are real, obviously not acting on anything they say though.