cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sim Swap Fraud

Chrissylittle
Explorer

So EE did an unauthorised Sim swap to a hacker with my phone number, they went into my accounts and changed passwords, I couldn't use my phone to call them, no online chat unless you enter a code they send to your phone first. Anyway, hacker quickly gained access to paypal, google wallet, emails, Uber app, facebook, Crypto, you name it, when I managed to use someones phone to call they would not reinstate my old sim and told me to go to a EE shop with ID, and in that time they managed to spend thousands and I couldn't gain access to email for over 24hrs, they have every aspect of my identity now, my personal and business accounts I had just sent to accountant, my ID, my share and asset info...absolutely everything so I am vulnerable for more identity issues in the future. I am absolutely furious that they did not follow proper security checks. I checked all my logs on other applications such as banking, facebook, email and only found logs of a different IP address logging in after they had authorised the swap so I can only see that EE has leaked my data in their app or something. EE told me the swap was done by phone and I should have been sent a code but that didn't happen, absolutely no one knew my password. I am awaiting to hear back from EE fraud team but I cannot believe when they have been doing this since 2018 apparently they have not learn't. The chap in the shop also told me he had reported security issues about EE authorising sims swops over the phone with no or little checks. What the hell? I am looking to raise this with ICO and get a solicitor as this will impact me for a long time - forever! 

3 REPLIES 3
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Chrissylittle,

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been a victim of identity fraud. I understand what a stressful experience this can be.

Our fraud team will be investigating this as a matter of urgency and will get back to you as soon as possible.

James

I called EE to ask for my data, call logs etc, they have sent their report to the ICO but apparently not going to get back to me at all? I assume an apology would suggest liability.  So I will make a complaint directly to the ICO myself.  Pretty bad on EE considering they are not learning from there security breaches.

angryoap
Investigator
Investigator

The same thing happened to me in November last year.  Despite the fact EE knew I was in possession of my phone less than an hour before, they went ahead and issued a PAC code to a scammer calling from a completely different number.  In the first conversation I had with EE it was intimated that, as the scammer had 'passed security', it must somehow be my fault!   It also transpired when I eventually got the call log from EE that there was a 15 hour gap between the PAC code being issued to the scammer and me receiving the text notification (this should be immediate).  I didn't receive the actual PAC code and EE don't seem to know where this went.  I too am raising this with the ICO.    Like you, this will have a lasting affect on me as I am constantly checking my accounts (the ones I haven't already closed to minimise risk!) and my credit rating to make sure no loans are being taken out in my name.  It's an absolute nightmare.